1776 Massachusetts Ave., NW
As the first public, college-preparatory boarding schools in the U.S., SEED’s mission and approach to education are unique. SEED schools are tuition-free and, by design, serve traditionally underserved students. Our schools and graduates are supported by The SEED Foundation. The SEED Foundation provides programmatic and operating support to SEED schools in Washington, D.C., Baltimore, and Miami. The SEED Foundation’s College Transition & Success (CTS) team provides intensive, individualized support to each SEED graduate from their junior year of high school through their college graduation. The success of the SEED model has been showcased in media outlets and publications such as 60 Minutes, The New York Times, The Washington Post, and in the documentary film Waiting for “Superman.” President Barack Obama hailed SEED as “a true success story.” For more information, please visit www.seedfoundation.com.
The SEED Foundation seeks a Marketing & Communications Associate with specific expertise in graphic design and writing. It is important that s/he have superior communications skills -- both verbal and written -- and the ability to deliver clear and compelling messages. This person will work in partnership with SEED schools, increasing our schools’ capacity to advance SEED’s mission to prepare students for success in college and beyond. Since s/he will work with a wide-range of internal and external constituents, this person is expected to have impeccable judgement.
With SEED at a pivotal and exciting point in its evolution, this is an ideal position for someone who wants to fine-tune and grow her/his communication skills and work strategically to develop internal and external-facing messaging and activity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the development team and other SEED departments to conceptualize, write and produce compelling and informative collateral such as; direct-mail solicitations, email blasts, social media, videos, website updates and ongoing maintenance, press releases and flyers.
- Partner with the development team on the creation of a cohesive communications plan each fiscal year.
- Provide direct support for major projects including, but not limited to, SEED 20/20, the annual fund, Annual Report, events, holiday cards, and other projects as needed.
- Assist with large scale SEED events such as the SEED Graduate Institute (SGI) and the SEED Summit.
- Provide direct operational support across the SEED network relating to graphic design and development of invitations, talking points, power point presentations, slide shows, photography, letterhead templates and social media posts/blogs.
- Manage websites across SEED network and provide training to school staff.
- Share SEED’s story via various channels, mediums, and technology (e.g. one-pagers and brochures to highlight key features of SEED Schools, 24-hour learning model, College Transition & Success (CTS) program and Expansion).
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in marketing and communications, education or a relevant field.
- 2-3 years’ experience in marketing and communications; ideally, in non-profit communications, web communications, professional social media, and/or journalism.
- High level graphic design experience.
- Advanced experience with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, MailChimp and Microsoft Office suite.
- Experience in supporting and developing communications and marketing strategies with colleagues, including internal communications.
- Experience multitasking and taking ownership of various, major- and long-term projects with multiple stakeholders.
- Experience in event planning/ project management and development preferred.
- Service oriented. You cooperate easily with staff and vendors and work across departments to meet needs as a positive team player. Stakeholders respect you for your knowledge and abilities and find you both approachable and responsive.
- Great listener. You take the time to learn what’s valuable and important to others. You confidently engage with staff at all levels to define needs and expectations.
- Discreet. You are professional and consistently maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Effective communicator. Your communication is clear and direct, both written and oral.
- Proactive with great follow through. You take full responsibility from start to finish. When you say you’ll get back with someone, you do.
- Process oriented. You can effectively and efficiently manage multiple tasks, allocate resources, and manage timelines. You are known for how you “get things done.”
- Curious. You have a curious mind that constantly challenges why things are done in a certain way, follows through with smart and creative solutions, and provides alternatives.
- Collaborative. You value working in a cohesive team environment where everyone works hard and relies on each other to pull it all together. You give respect and earn yours.
- Adaptable. You anticipate and respond to change in a fast-paced environment. You are willing to learn new ways of approaching your work to achieve better results.
- You are part of an organization which creates better futures that will profoundly affect the lives of students and their families for generations to come.
- SEED recognizes that its most important asset is its growing team of smart, creative, collaborative, forward-thinking, passionate professionals and that a comprehensive employee benefits package is an important factor for them in choosing where to work. SEED offers competitive compensation along with an extensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision coverage; life and disability programs; tuition assistance; and matching 403(b) contributions.
- SEED is metro accessible and is centrally located to allow our team to take advantage of professional networking opportunities, cultural offerings, and a thriving social scene in downtown.
SEED offers competitive compensation along with an extensive benefits package including PTO, sick, 11 paid holidays, medical, dental, and vision coverage; life and disability programs; tuition assistance; and matching 403(b) contributions.
Level of Language Proficiency
Superior written and verbal communication skills required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please forward your resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, to email@example.com with “SEED Foundation – Marketing & Communications Associate” in the subject line. Applicants will not be considered without both a resume and cover letter.