Position Title: Level 1 Maintenance
Office: Facilities & Site Operations
Reports To: Building Operations Manager
About International House:
Founded in 1924 by John D. Rockefeller Jr. and the Cleveland H. Dodge family, International House is dedicated to fostering the next generation of globally minded leaders. Nestled in the Morningside Heights area of New York City, International House is home to more than 700 carefully selected graduate students and young professionals annually – representing 100 countries and more than 70 top schools and businesses. We provide an unrivaled opportunity for our Residents to thrive through daily interactions in a culturally, politically, and economically diverse community that is both inclusive and proactive by nature. Our programs encourage diversity of thought and experience to ensure that the world views of the emerging leaders who come here are greatly expanded beyond their initial expectations and even their comfort zones. We believe that leadership guided by the core values of the International House experience – Respect, Empathy, and Moral Courage – can create a more just and peaceful world. Learn more at www.ihouse-nyc.org.
- Be a key leader within the Facilities Maintenance Team which has responsibility for the day to day building repair and maintenance requirements for 700 resident rooms, 5 Guest Suites, 8 Administrative Offices, and Public spaces as well as the exterior building and grounds. Recommends, develops and implements preventative maintenance ideas and best practices with an emphasis on cost efficiency and best value. In partnership with the Building Operations Manager and the maintenance and housekeeping managers, you are to participate in the planning, communication and implementation of interior and exterior projects and modifications of buildings.
- Help your direct supervisor set the team work priorities, coordinate and schedule assignments, and establish goals and objectives. Also assist the Facilities Managers to achieve and maintain regulatory compliance with all NYC Building Codes and DEP Requirements. This involves performing work that supports the facility to achieve proper certification requirements. Level 1 Maintenance staff is expected to play a key role on Life Safety evacuation procedures. Recommends and report to your direct supervisor any Safety & Health issues, concerns or suggestions that will improve our organizational goal of a safe workplace environment.
- Level 1 staff should be knowledgeable in OSHA regulatory guidelines and apply that knowledge in improving our facilities with a goal of having a safe and comfortable working and living environment.
- Immediately and affirmatively respond to and resolve building occupant complaints, including but not limited to lighting, temperature, noise, air quality, vermin, and elevator operations. Work on assigning and/or completing specified work requests in a timely matter and to complete satisfaction of both Facilities management and the residents. Interact and communicate with residents and staff when systems or equipment may be impacted by service or project related maintenance work.
- Report any issues with Residents, visitors, contractors, and fellow staff adhering to building rules with your direct supervisor, and to assist in establishing procedures for the safe operations and maintenance of the facilities.
- A minimum of 5 years in the residential or commercial building industry.
- Knowledge of plumbing and electrical infrastructure is a must.
- Basic hand/power tools knowledge and experience
- Ability to work being a part of a larger facility team is crucial to operation and evaluation.
- Computer and e-mail efficiency will be necessary.
- Represent the Office of Facilities Management at meetings as requested
- Regular attendance in conformance with the policies established by International House
- Must maintain a neat, clean, and well-groomed appearance
- Work varying schedules to reflect the needs of the office and/or the House
- Fully comply with the policies and procedures established by International House to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the facility
- Pay attention to detail and complete work in accordance with established time-frames, quantity and quality requirements for thoroughness
- Work and interact effectively with a variety of people
- Show good customer service
- Be available for evening, weekend and holiday work occasionally as needed. Weekend, after hours and emergency response coverage as required. As part of the building operations team you will also be counted on as the person to reach for any emergency maintenance issues from residents IF a maintenance crew member isn’t on duty or handling another emergency. Building operations staff MUST respond OR coordinate with maintenance crew if a maintenance issue is caused by a building system (i.e. steam/water riser leaks, drain overflows, anything fire and/or safety related)
- Consistently demonstrates good communication skills, bilingual and excellent organization skills
- Must possess the ability to read and follow written and oral instructions in English