Details: Commensurate with years of experience.
P.O. Box 65323
As part of its mission to eradicate human trafficking, Polaris operates the 24 hour National Human Trafficking Hotline and BeFree Textline as part of its National Hotlines program. The National Hotlines program works to improve the systemic response to protect victims of human trafficking in the United States. The program is designed to provide human trafficking victims and survivors with access to critical support and services to get help and stay safe, and to equip the anti-trafficking community with the tools to effectively combat all forms of human trafficking.
The Anti-Trafficking Hotline Advocate is primarily responsible for answering the hotline. This primary task occupies 85-100% of the Anti-Trafficking Hotline Advocate’s work day. The Anti-Trafficking Hotline Advocate will also respond to online tips, SMS text message conversations, and conduct case follow up.
The following list of responsibilities is not exhaustive and each Advocate may not engage in every task. Tasks may vary based on the Advocate’s work schedule, availability, milestones achieved and skills.
· Field calls from victims and survivors, service providers, law enforcement, government, professionals, and community members in accordance with National Hotline protocols;
● Strategize response to phone email and online tip form tips, crisis contact, requests for referrals, and requests for training and technical assistance, using relevant protocols and databases;
● Input and maintain clear, concise, and accurate case notes and data gathered through calls, emails and online forms;
● Attend required staff and supervisory meetings as detailed in the Advocate Manual; and
● Support the National Hotline Supervision team through the completion of projects that are necessary to National Hotline function, as assigned by a National Hotline Supervisor.
● Bilingual proficiency in English and Spanish
● Able and willing to work an alternative schedule, including overnight shifts and during holidays and inclement weather when the main office is closed;
● General flexibility and ease of movement between multiple projects and priorities;
● Demonstrated commitment to innovation and creative problem-solving;
● Experience, competence, and confidence working independently and as part of a team.
● Experience working in multicultural environments;
● Demonstrated passion for social justice, human rights, and gender issues;
● Strong focus on direct and open communication with the ability to transition easily between diverse communication styles on and off the hotline;
● Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills;
● Excellent writing and analytical skills;
● Proficiency working with databases and comfort using diverse technologies and systems;
● Ability to follow directions, work well under pressure, and maintain composure during stressful situations;
● Comfort and sensitivity when working with survivors of severe forms of exploitation;
● Resiliently positive and energetic attitude; and
● Demonstrated experience/volunteer work in human trafficking or a related field;
● Experience working on a victim-centered or resource-oriented hotline; and
● Experience in crisis management or crisis intervention.
- Survivors of human trafficking encouraged to apply;
- Subject to a criminal background check;
- Subject to a probationary term contingent on training performance; and
- Request for three professional and/or personal references.
The work of Polaris is grounded in a set of values and organizational beliefs that provide a common starting point for all of our activities. At Polaris, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about combating all forms of human trafficking and who will strive to embody and model these values within the Polaris community and in the anti-trafficking field. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with these values and our mission statement before submitting your application. You can find a full description of our values here.
This position CANNOT be performed remotely.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual proficiency in English. Spanish preferred.
Minimum Education Required