Employment Type: Full-time, exempt
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Mi Familia Vota / Mi Familia Vota Education Fund (MFV/MFV EF) is one of the premiere Latino civic engagement organizations in the country with a trained and skilled staff working within the Latino community and with its allies to promote social and economic justice through increased civic participation. We do this by expanding the electorate through direct and sustainable citizenship, voter registration, GOTV and issue organizing in key states; forming and supporting key alliances at national, state and local levels to increase civic engagement; providing technical assistance and support to other organizations; and increasing public support for full civic participation in Latino and immigrant communities. Mi Familia Vota is a national 501(c)(4) non-profit organization, and Mi Familia Vota Education Fund is a 501(c)(3).
Mi Familia Vota is seeking a full-time Community Organizer, who will be responsible for Paid Leave and Economic Justice campaigns that build long-term power and achieve short terms victories. He or she will start by building a powerful base of grassroots leaders in throughout the state of Nevada. He or she will provide strategic leadership in the development of an organizational base: building plans, recruiting members and volunteers, and mentoring leaders in support of the movement for Paid Leave and Economic Justice. The Community Organizer will recruit, train, and support members in taking on leadership roles in the movement. Our Organizer will take a lead role in planning, developing, and carrying out organizing strategy, as well as engaging in creating innovative partnerships with individuals, organizations, elected officials, media, and others.
The Community Organizer will report primarily to the Nevada State Director and subsequently to other MFV/MFV EF National team members.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruit and develop a powerful base of grassroots leaders for Paid Leave and Economic Justice campaigns in Nevada.
- Create and maintain innovative partnerships with individuals, organizations, elected officials, media, and others within Nevada.
- Assist State Director and team in planning, developing, and carrying out organizing strategy.
- Coordinate volunteer leader grassroots advocacy including phone banks, door knocks, house meetings, and other activities.
- Develop and carry out monthly grassroots actions in preparation for 2019 Legislative Session. Actions include but not limited to: community meetings, press events, letters-to-the editor, lobby days, and community events.
- Serve as a communication liaison, with State Director approval, to identify opportunities for MFV/MFV EF to work with media, form partnerships, and increase visibility of the movement.
- Provide input and content for MFV/MFV EF social media platforms in the Nevada.
- Participate in and conduct trainings as a part of professional development.
- Prepare and submit reports of his/her job activities on daily, weekly, or monthly basis as directed by the State Director.
- Represent Mi Familia Vota in a professional manner to the community.
- One (1) or more years of experience in community organizing.
- Demonstrated experience building, nurturing, and maintaining diverse and effective alliances and partnerships.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and foster collaboration and trust in others in the high-pressure environment of campaign.
- Proven record of success in setting and achieving goals.
- Self-motivated with proven ability to work independently.
- Cultural competency and ability to communicate effectively with people representing diverse interests, styles, and backgrounds.
- Excellent organizational and communication (written and oral) skills.
- Ability to be flexible and understanding with changes.
- Can meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks in a fast paced work environment.
- Fluency in Spanish preferred.
- Reliable transportation, valid driver’s license and proof of auto insurance required.
Please email a copy of your resume, cover letter, and two references to:
email@example.com. The email-subject line should read “Community Organizer – Economic Justice” or may be missed. No phone calls please.
Please note: resumes not matching the listed qualifications will not be eligible for the position
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person holding this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. Mi Familia Vota / Mi Familia Vota Education Fund reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary.
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Mi Familia Vota, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Spanish preferred.
Minimum Education Required