Details: Commensurate with experience.
IMPACCT Brooklyn is a dynamic neighborhood-based organization. We combine social service supportive housing, community organizing, tenant and homeowner services, affordable housing development and management, and economic development to improve the Brooklyn communities of Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Bedford Stuyvesant, Crown Heights and Prospect Heights. This position reports to the Director of Social Services.
- Develop, facilitate and maintain substance abuse program
- Provide individual and group substance abuse counseling, including but limited to 12-step groups, peer support groups, relapse, prevention and psycho-educational workshops, and harm reduction and seminars for staff and clients
- Develop and maintain community partnerships with treatment centers, detox and rehabilitation programs
- Provide substance abuse case conferencing, training and consultation to all members of the social service team
- Work as a member of the social service team in the development of recreational, socialization, educational and skill building activities with a view towards client inclusion and integration
- Provide annual strategic substance abuse program work plan and keep current and accurate records
- Provide crisis intervention as needed
- Develop, with the client, and monitor individual treatment plans
- Provide annual substance abuse assessments
- Documentation of all services in compliance with agency standards
- Maintain a strong working relationship with the social service staff to ensure quality of care, due diligence and best practice and actively participate in interdisciplinary case conferencing
- Assist, refer, encourage and accompany clients with accessing, enrolling, participating and completing needed substance abuse in and out-patient services
- Evening and some weekend hours required
- Participate in 6 job development trainings per year
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Social Services
- Knowledge of ethical standards, principles, and practices of social work, counseling, and human behavior.
- Knowledge of Person-Centered methodology.
- Knowledge of motivational interviewing and other information gathering techniques.
- Knowledge of the theories of group interaction and therapeutic intervention.
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS
- Knowledge of effects of mental illness and substance use
- Knowledge of substance abuse issues/concerns
- Ability to engage, build trust and encourage those suffering from HIV/AIDS, serious mental illness and substance abuse.
- Ability to be a team member
- Ability to write meaningful, concise, and accurate progress notes and correspondence.
- Ability to identify and assess appropriate client service needs.
- CASAC certification or MSW with 2 years’ experience in substance abuse counseling
- Experience working with individuals with HIV/AIDS, mental health, and substance abuse issues
- 2+ years related experience in the development and facilitation of substance abuse and harm reduction training, education and individual and group work
- Residential setting experience preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required
- Working knowledge of various computer programs including email, Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Bi-lingual preferred
This job operates in a professional office environment and out on the field. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required occasionally do some light lifting and to regularly stand, talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to travel to other facilities.
POSITION TYPE AND EXPECTED WORK HOURS
This is a full-time 35 hours a week position, Monday through Friday and as needed for evenings and weekends. Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be expected.
IMPACCT BROOKLYN IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Pratt Area Community Council, Inc. (dba IMPACCT Brooklyn) is a community-based, non-profit community development corporation established in 1964 with a mission to build an equitable, diverse, engaged, and flourishing community in Brooklyn.
Excellent health benefits with paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and personal days. Pre-tax deduction for retirement and MetroCard
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should email a résumé and cover letter.
PLEASE INDICATE “SUBSTANCE ABUSE SPECIALIST” ON SUBJECT LINE.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. ONLY THOSE OFFERED INTERVIEWS WILL BE CONTACTED.