66 E Randolph
After School Matters provides Chicago high school teens with high quality, after-school and summer opportunities to explore and develop their talents while gaining critical skills for work, college and beyond. Since 1991, more than 200,000 teens have participated in our hands-on, project-based after-school and summer programs in the arts, communications and leadership, sports and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math). Programs take place at locations throughout the city including Chicago public high schools, Chicago Park District and Chicago Public Library locations, community organizations, downtown at the Gallery 37 Center for the Arts and in Belmont Cragin at our new Michael and Karyn Lutz Center for After School Matters. For more information, visit www.afterschoolmatters.org.
Summary of Position:
The Accounting Coordinator supports the efficient operation of the After School Matters Finance Department by assisting with a wide range of administrative and accounting functions. This will primarily consist of accounts payable functions including processing of invoices, distribution of checks, employee reimbursement requests, and verifying account coding. In addition, the Accounting Coordinator will also provide financial analysis as required.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with the review, coding and approval for all account payables.
- Maintain account payable filing system, as well as contract payable files and worksheets
- Process invoices in a timely manner
- Maintain vendor information in financial database
- Research and resolve account payable issues
- Assist with reconciling account payables to vendor statements and sub-ledger
- Match checks to invoices for distributing, mailing and filing invoices
- Assist with preparing deposits
- Provide financial analysis as required to support other staff members
- Prepare audit work papers as needed
- Assist with maintaining all files, both electronic and hard copy format
- Provide general office administrative duties
- Work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality customer service
- Other duties as assigned
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not exposed to weather conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Basic knowledge of accounting principles
- Ability to organize and prioritize in order to meet strict deadlines
- Ability to problem solve and trouble-shoot quickly
- Demonstrate attention to detail
- Intermediate Excel skills with proficiency in other Microsoft Office suite of products
- Experience with financial accounting software, preferred
- Proven problem-solving abilities
- Effective communication skills with an emphasis on customer service and the ability to collaborate with ASM staff and management
- Demonstrates professionalism at all times through phone and in-person interactions, and through written correspondence including email.
- A commitment to maintain strict confidentiality
- Candidate must meet one of two scenarios:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business or related field required and 1 year of experience preferred, or
- Associate’s Degree in Accounting, Business or related field required and 2 or more years of experience required
- Cook county residency required
How to Apply:
Submit a cover letter and resume at http://afterschoolmatters.applytojob.com/apply
After School Matters is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, military discharge status, age, marital status, parental status, or source of income.
Minimum Education Required