Details: Compensation for this position is very competitive, reflecting the Bay Area cost of living.
1167 Mission Street
Local 21 is seeking candidates for Representative/Organizer to represent members and build power for working professionals. As a labor representative you will engage in recruiting and developing member leaders, in collective bargaining, contract administration, building coalitions that increase power for working people and government relations and politics.
About Local 21
Local 21 is a progressive, innovative, growing union of more than 10,000 professional government employees in major jurisdictions throughout the Bay Area. Staff work closely with a unified Executive Committee and talented Chapter leaders.
Candidates must have experience working independently on organizational and representational issues, and have the ability to negotiate contracts and lead contract campaigns, build chapters, develop member leaders, administer contracts, perform internal and external organizing and participate in government relations and politics.
The ideal candidate will have a record of success in the areas of:
- Developing member leaders to run strong chapters capable of addressing the needs of members
- Working with and respecting elected leaders and acting in the appropriate staff role
- Promoting member activism and an organizing approach to contract administration
- Overseeing grievance processing and decision making on whether to arbitrate
- Negotiating contracts and running contract campaigns
- Organizing new units, and recruiting and activating members
- Lobbying and political action
- Working cooperatively with other staff
- Continuing self-development and education
Health and wellness benefits, pension, 401k with employer matching, generous sick and vacation leave, among other benefits outlined in the collectively bargained staff union contract.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To be considered for this position, please provide the following:
- A current resume reflecting qualifications for this position.
- Letter of application addressing how accomplishments in your career have prepared you to meet the challenges and opportunities facing Local 21, a public sector union of highly trained professional and technical employees.
All materials must be sent electronically to Debra Grabelle c/o Kristan Karinen at this email address: email@example.com. In the body of your email, please state where you saw this listing (Idealist.org).
All inquiries and material submitted will be kept confidential.
Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
IFPTE Local 21 is deeply committed to diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and interested in applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, religions, and genders.