Safe Horizon envisions a society free of family and community violence. We will lead the way by empowering victims of domestic violence, child abuse, sexual assault and human trafficking to move from crisis to confidence.
Safe Horizon's mission is to provide support, prevent violence and promote justice for victims of crime and abuse, their families and communities.
Youth Advocates provide comprehensive services to adolescents and young adults impacted by homelessness and involved in street activities (gangs, violence, drug use/sale and survival sex). Services provided by youth advocates include assessment, case planning, case facilitation and management, counseling, referrals, outreach, crisis transportation, daily living services (food, shower, respite), triage counseling, recreational activities and support groups. The youth advocate coordinates with Safe Horizon supporting programs and local agencies to provide short and long term care necessary to meet the wide range of needs related to homeless adolescents.
Essential Job Functions:
- Manage events in the Drop-In Center and provide concrete support to clients, prepare and/or oversee preparation of meals.
- Work in collaboration with other Streetwork staff to coordinate supportive services for clients.
- Intake and assessment for individuals seeking assistance.
- Triage counseling.
- Engagement of adolescents into program structure (harm reduction philosophy, rules, mutual respect)
- Provide wellness and recreational (engagement) activities.
- Perform reparative interventions as part of a harm reduction approach.
- Facilitate access to daily living needs (food, clothes, hygiene supplies, space to rest).
- Provide advocacy and information to homeless adolescents in accessing resources.
- Coordinate efforts with local community service providers to link clients with educational and vocational services.
- Mediation of client conflicts.
- Perform data entry of program services into funder databases.
- Participate in case conferencing.
- Maintain routine administrative responsibilities to include the preparation of correspondence, maintaining files, mail, email, and telephone.
- Participate at staff trainings, staff meetings and staff group process workshops.
- Participate in weekly supervision.
Secondary Job Functions:
- Petty Cash reconciliation.
- Identification of new resources appropriate for population.
- Crisis intervention and individual counseling.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Compassionate approach to others and openness to new ideas.
- Dynamic energy, able to multi-task and negotiate multiple demands on attention.
- Non-judgmental approach and ability to empathize with others.
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication skill, excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Genuine interest in working with disenfranchised youth and young adults.
- Understanding of harm reduction approach.
- Bi-lingual Spanish.
- Demonstrate the ability to work independently.
- Bachelor’s Degree in social services, creative arts, liberal studies or any related field working with youth or equivalent experience.
- Experience working in a social services setting, OR
- Personal experience with street survival activities (homelessness, gangs, drug economy, sex industry) with three years separation from involvement in these activities. Deep understanding of the relationship between personal experience and professional standards.
- At least 1 year working with the homeless population, youth, or harm reduction
- Basic understanding of computer and systems for managing case records
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Safe Horizon is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals and endeavors to hire individuals of diverse races, colors, creeds, ethnicities, religions, genders, gender identities or expressions, ages, sexes, sexual orientations, national origins and disabilities, as well citizen, marital, protected veteran and HIV statuses.
Minimum Education Required