The Alliance for Downtown New York seeks a talented and motivated financial management professional to serve as Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration. The Alliance is a not-for-profit Business Improvement District (BID) with a $21 million annual budget, making it one of the largest BIDS by budget in North America.
The Alliance for Downtown New York (Downtown Alliance) manages the Downtown-Lower Manhattan Business Improvement District, serving an area roughly from City Hall to The Battery, from the East River to West Street. For over twenty years, the Downtown Alliance has worked to transform Lower Manhattan into a vibrant and dynamic district. When we opened our doors in 1995, Lower Manhattan had a commercial vacancy rate north of 20%, a residential population of 14,000, only a few great places to shop and eat, and just a handful of hotels. Today, the area is teeming with 300,000 workers, more than 60,000 residents, over 1,000 restaurants and shops, and millions of visitors excited to experience our renaissance.
Our board is comprised of the largest commercial property owners and tenants in the area, local elected officials, and local residents. In addition to the traditional BID services of supplemental sanitation, security and marketing; the Downtown Alliance publishes top notch research reports, promotes small businesses, is a major supporter of tourism, and spearheads local planning efforts with a vision for the future. In 2018, we celebrated our third-year of successfully operating LMHQ, our one-of-a-kind collaboration and event space. and economic development initiative.
The Downtown Alliance seeks a talented and motivated financial management leader to serve as Senior Vice President, a full-time position reporting to, and working closely with, the President. The SVP for Finance and Administration will be a key member of the executive team and must be capable of providing counsel and support to the President and Board of Directors, work collaboratively with Senior Staff, and help motivate and support all 70 Alliance employees. This person should be a disciplined self-starter, problem solver, and good at proactively identifying issues and suggesting solutions to the team. The SVP will be primarily responsible for the organization’s financial management, planning and reporting, budget development, adherence to procurement requirements, and general accounting. This person is directly responsible for a staff of four and the human resources of the entire organization.
The Senior Vice President will work closely with the President to:
- Lead and draft the annual budget in consultation with the President, division heads and board. The annual budget guides our work plan and priorities for the year.
- Prepare regular financial reports for the President, finance and audit committees, and work throughout the year with division heads to ensure our work-flow remains on track and within budget.
- Prepare annual assessment package, review revenue contracts, issue letters and invoices for annual contributions.
- Act as a fiduciary for the retirement plan working with our third-party administrators to select and communicate offerings to staff, complete annual regulatory filings and oversee administration.
- Oversee the procurement ensuring compliance with SBS contract, district plan and applicable laws. Work with division executives, project leads, and General Counsel to review and comment on RFPs, contracts and contract modifications.
- Support the Downtown Alliance’s sister organization with monthly financial reports, oversight of accounts payable and receivable as well as support for the annual meeting and audit preparation and execution.
Corporate Leadership responsibilities
- Support the President in crafting and refining the overall organization strategy and direction under the guidance of the board of directors.
- Provide advice and counsel to all, both within the organization and in response to inquiries from constituents, other BIDs, etc.
- Ability and desire to develop relationships with staff with an emphasis on team building, staff empowerment and career development.
Administration/ Human Resources responsibilities
- Oversee the Director of Administration and external co-employment partner to ensure that all aspects of Human Resources and Administration are run effectively and responsively.
- Manage the benefits package provided to employees.
- Manage the annual performance review process.
The successful candidate for the Senior Vice President position will have the following minimum qualifications and attributes:
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or a related discipline with at least 5 years experience in a managerial role.
- Preferably a Master’s Degree from an accredited university in finance, management, public administration, or a related field and/or CPA.
- Strong and expansive background in executive management, particularly financial and operational management, financial reporting, cash management, and in-depth knowledge of accounting rules and IRS regulations specifically relating to nonprofit organizations of similar type and size.
- Experience in partnering with an executive team and solid people skills to manage sensitive relationships with both internal and external partners.
- Excellent written communication and public presentation skills and a demonstrated ability to synthesize complex ideas and distill into clear, direct language.
- Proficiency with QuickBooks software.
- Understanding of the political landscape of New York State and City.
The Alliance for Downtown New York offers a very competitive benefit package including health, dental and vision insurance, 401K plan, commuter benefit, life insurance, long term disability insurance, tuition assistance, paid time off, and citibike membership. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
The Alliance for Downtown New York is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required