About East Bay Community Foundation
Founded in 1928 and supported by over 400 local donors, the East Bay Community Foundation partners with fundholders, social movements, and the community to eliminate structural barriers, advance racial equity, and transform political, social, and economic outcomes for all who call the East Bay home. The Foundation is committed to advancing a Just East Bay, where all members of our community are treated fairly; resulting in equitable opportunity and outcomes for all. Today, EBCF manages over $800 million in community-based assets and offers charitable tools, funds, and investment options to enable donors to give smartly. For more information, visit ebcf.org
About the Position
In 2020, EBCF experienced a phenomenal period of increased gifts revenue as well as grant making. Due to the exciting higher volume of resources going out into the community, in order to meet our ambitious goals of providing high-level excellence in Donor Services, the Donor Services & Administrative Support team is being restructured for increased capacity and expertise. The Director of Donor Services & Administrative Support (DSAS) will be responsible for ensuring that: (i) our various levels of donor service and interface are modernized, consistently responsive and efficient and high quality, and; (ii) in collaboration with the Development and our Community Investments & Partnerships teams, EBCF provides educational and thought provoking experiences designed to move engaged donors along a continuum of learning regarding power, privilege, race, and transformative philanthropic strategies. In short, the Director will promote giving, to and through EBCF, mobilizing donors to leverage their assets to transform the lives of people towards a Just East Bay.
Team and Cross-team Management
· Help build and manage a team of ~3 FTE including coaching, goal-setting and performance evaluation; establishing priorities and performance metrics for team and monitoring progress in an ongoing manner.
· Lead the team to achieve ambitious results employing efficient processes while supporting a high standard of excellence, service delivery and accountability.
· Initiate cross-team collaborative efforts, managing overlapping deadlines while cultivating camaraderie among staff across different teams.
· Build team culture and support team members’ learning and professional development.
· Collaborate with the Grants Management team to ensure that existing donor facing online portals and systems (e.g. Donor Central) are working efficiently externally and internally; and all forms/resources/collateral are consistently updated and optimized for improving our donor experience and internal workflow.
· In coordination with EBCF’s VP of Development, Chief Financial Officer, and Controller, ensure that EBCF’s administration and management of various charitable vehicles and services (e.g., Donor Advised Funds, agency funds, field of interest funds, endowed and nonendowed funds, supporting organizations, etc.) is fully compliant with relevant state and federal regulatory requirements.
· Ensure all external and internal policies relating to donors and charitable giving vehicles are consistently up to date and are advancing EBCF’s priorities with stewarding donors in line with A Just East Bay.
Project Management, Process & Systems Oversight
· Effectively manage high-level projects, production of events, and mailings for different teams and workgroups at EBCF, primarily serving the Development team.
· Ensure that existing donor facing online portals/systems (e.g. Donor Central), externally facing information on our website, and all forms/resources/collateral are consistently updated and optimized for improving our donor experience and internal workflow.
· Work with IT/Operations and external vendors to ensure increased integration between new and more efficient technology systems resulting in optimized data analytics and reporting.
· Assess the existing donor user experience at EBCF and manage a long-term revamping of the donor user experience at EBCF so that it is in-line and advances our A Just East Bay mission (focusing more time and resources on supporting deep donor learning around structural inequities while significantly improving transactional services so they are more efficient and less staff intensive).
· Manage, improve, and/or establish processes and procedures to ensure high-quality donor experience through all the various communication touchpoints (e.g., website, Donor portal, email, telephone, onboarding of new donors). This includes overseeing the set-up of new donors at EBCF (drafting fund agreements between donor and EBCF; overseeing the onboarding process of the donors as needed).
Donor Cultivation, Communication and Events
Required Skills and Competencies
Core Qualifications and Required Skills:
§ At least 5+ years of Donor Services experience responsible for supporting and overseeing Donor Advised Funds and other charitable giving vehicles. Has demonstrated experience and expertise with compliance issues for different charitable giving vehicles.
§ At least 5+ years of experience supervising and managing staff.
§ Experience and fluency in working closely with Finance, Development, Program, and communications team for collaboration on events and/or fund holders, giving circles, or supporting organizations
§ Relationship building skills with a wide range of people. Skilled and excited to build trust with people, listen, ask questions, responsive to feedback, and build authentic relationships around the issues they care about, and activating those interests towards social justice.
§ Passion for the mission of EBCF to advance A Just East Bay.
§ Demonstrated commitment to racial, economic, and social justice and equity.
§ A basic fluency in and comfort talking about oppressions such as racism, sexism, and classism and an understanding of how their own experiences and background relate.
§ Results-oriented: Someone who gets it done, determined, creative, and solutions-oriented.
§ Strong project management: A strong track record of creating work plans, setting goals, measurable targets, balancing multiple tasks and projects, and meeting deadlines; strong administrative acumen and an excellent attention to detail. Comfort with effectively communicating about progress.
§ Team-player: Have a ‘low ego, high output’ mindset. Highly collaborative, flexible, and open to shifting priorities and timelines and an ability to identify new, creative solutions when challenges arise.
§ Excited to build a stronger organization that operationalizes its new mission, vision, and values, internally and externally.
§ Creativity & willingness to learn: Excitement for and experience developing and executing new business strategies, testing bold approaches towards philanthropy, donor experiences and learning, while appreciating, learning from, and building on EBCF’s rich history and tried and true models. Solicits and welcomes contributions from staff at all levels in the organization towards successfully building relationships with our donors.
§ Excellent persuasive communication skills (written, visual, oral) with individuals.
The Ideal Candidate will have:
§ Experience stewarding donors with Donor Advised Funds (DAFs), or experience working at a DAF provider (e.g. a community foundation or other philanthropic advising institution).
§ Expertise and knowledge of compliance for DAFs, and other donor vehicles
§ Knowledge of and relationships in the East Bay, particularly around philanthropy and its social justice landscape.
§ Experience managing communications and employing effective communications strategies.
§ Business savvy, experience working with new technology and software vendors.
§ Experience working with individual donors and families (especially major donors), particularly around issues of wealth and social justice values.
§ Belief in the importance of organizing donors to become powerful participants and allies in local social justice movements; an ability and interest to engage in potentially challenging conversations around class and race with people with wealth.
About East Bay Community Foundation
Founded in 1928 and supported by over 400 local donors, the East Bay Community Foundation partners with fundholders, social movements, and the community to eliminate structural barriers, advance…