9404 East Marginal Way South
Title: Accounting Manager
Reports to: Controller
Compensation: Grade Level 7M; Benefits. Regular, full-time, salary, exempt position
Direct Reports: Accounts Payable Specialist, Cash and Accounts Receivable Specialist, Volunteer(s), Payroll and Accounting Specialist
The primary responsibility of the Accounting Manager is to oversee the Accounting Department including the general ledger, the biweekly payroll process and the daily department productivity as well as the review of Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable process. The Accounting Manager will work closely with the Controller in establishing processes and work flow that create efficiency and increase productivity within the department. This position ensures quality interaction between other departments within the organization to ensure department deadlines are met and professional standards and not-for-profit accounting regulations are implemented and processes followed. This position has supervisory responsibility and is the point person for department problem-solving situations and staff support relating to day-to-day tasks.
Education: Associate’s degree in Accounting required. Bachelor’s degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university highly preferred.
Experience: Five to eight years accounting experience required with preference in not-for-profit environment. Previous experience in a supervisory position, with the ability to lead and mentor staff is required. Two to three years of hands-on experience in managing, processing payroll, general understanding of payroll tax implications and application of benefits.
License & Certification: None
Knowledge and Skills:
- MIP software experience preferred
- Solid understanding of not-for-profit accounting principles
- Analytical and database management skills; advanced skills in Excel including importing and exporting data files preferred; and intermediate skills in Word
- Strong knowledge base of payroll processing and general understanding of human resources
- Prior experience as a manager with strong management abilities including staff planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; provides regular performance feedback; develops skills and encourages growth
- Problem-solving mindset approach and ability to identify and solve problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully
- Good organizational skills, detail and deadline focused with a track record of accuracy and quality control
- Able to shift and manage multiple priorities and competing deadlines
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal, customer service skills and ability to work with a diverse population and work groups
- Ability to work as a member of several teams
Museum Specific Qualifications:
- At time of job offer candidate must be able to pass a criminal background check
- Customer service/client driven focus with a positive, collaborative, solution-based attitude that stays within and upholds Museum’s policies and procedures
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including occasional evening and/or weekend work
Essential Job Functions
1. Manage all aspects of month end close process with assistance from Controller
2. Bank Reconciliations
3. Pledge and Accounts Receivable reconciliation and review
4. Review of revenue and cash tie down in accordance with month end closing schedule
5. Oversee requisition and purchasing process with staff and Accounts Payable
6. Provide year end support working with Controller and external audit team
7. Oversee/Review daily accounts payable, cash receipts & accounts receivable data entry posting and managing the individuals in these positions within the accounting department
8. Responsible for GL reconciliations and AR Aging
9. Help document and enhance accounting processes and recording into Abila accounting system in accordance to GAAP
10. Work closely with the administrators of Outbound, Raiser’s Edge, and Counterpoint software to ensure systems will provide the needed accounting information to generate timely and accurate financial records
11. Works collaboratively and shares system administrator responsibilities with Human Resources in the bi-weekly payroll process and related payroll functions including online time tracking, Ceridian Payroll process, and timely submission of benefit payments
12. Oversee biweekly payroll process, L&I, benefits and timesheets are adhered to accurately and timely with Payroll Specialist
13. Responsible for monthly Washington State sales tax reporting and quarterly Department of Labor & Industries filing
14. Train and mentor accounting staff including distribute training collateral for department and organization as reference relating to accounting and payroll functions.
15. Coordinate Accounting meetings with Controller
16. Participate in Museum-wide and department-wide events, training and meetings
17. Supportive participant who actively works in meeting department goals
18. Perform other duties as assigned
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
This position requires a 40 hour work week primarily Monday through Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm with an occasional evening and/or weekend work and additional hours based on workload or event, or as directed by Controller.
- This position must be able to lift and/or maneuver 25+ pounds with assistance
- This position works in an office environment with long sedentary periods and repetitive wrist and arm movement
- The ability to focus, bend carry, reach to the side, front and overhead, push pull, walk, stand, twist and squat are occasional requirements in a normal office setting
- Little to no travel is expected for this position
Benefits include Medical, Vision, Dental, Flexible Spending Arrangement, 403B with company match at one year of service.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover through our recruitment module at our website. Thank you.