Reports to: Executive Director
Transportation Alternatives (TA), New York City's advocate for walking, bicycling, and public transportation, is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with an almost-50-year history of fighting for safer streets and better transportation in New York City. TA uses a combination of neighborhood-level grassroots organizing and city-wide advocacy to push for changes in public policy, street design, enforcement, and resource allocation that transform our city’s streets for the better.
Reporting to, and working in close partnership with, TA’s Executive Director (ED), the Senior Director for Marketing & Communications leads the development, execution, and measurement of TA’s overarching communications and marketing strategy, branding, storytelling, PR, and experiential marketing work.
As a key member of the organization’s senior leadership team, the Senior Director for Marketing & Communications leads the six-person Marketing and Communications staff and freelancers in the creation and refinement of TA’s positioning and messaging; driving its content creation process by ideating, developing, testing, releasing, and measuring inspiring narratives, campaigns, and opportunities to reach more people and increase engagement with TA; and continuing to position TA as a leader in the fight for safer streets and better transportation.
The right candidate is a seasoned communications professional with experience leading a team of passionate comms and marketing staff who wants to help shape the future of NYC, provide safe, equitable and dignified transportation alternatives for all New Yorkers, and is a passionate and relentless advocate for positive change.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
Communications & Marketing Strategy
- Working closely with the ED and as part of the senior leadership team, bring communications and marketing expertise, guidance, and decision-making to all strategic deliberations, providing insightful, innovative thinking and problem to the advancement of TA’s work and the resolution of key issues
- Develop, implement, and evaluate an integrated, organization-wide strategic communications and marketing plan to broaden the awareness and impact of TA and its work across key audiences, including media, supporters, advocates, volunteers, partners, and other stakeholders
- Continue building a culture of data. tech, web, and design innovation to support strategic goals and vision
- Work with communication team to build and maintain positive relationships with local and national media outlets and proactively shape TA’s media presence and public perception via press releases, press kits, talking points, and messaging
- Partner with TA’s organizing and advocacy staff to develop effective messaging via press and public relations, ensuring that press releases, social media, and other communications products are effective and consistent with the organization’s mission, values, and strategic plan
Content Creation & Maintenance
- Create and manage systems for ensuring externally-facing materials and content are accurate, correctly utilize TA’s organizational voice(s), and are supportive of the organization’s strategic plan and goals
- Lead the creation, distribution, and maintenance of all collateral and content (print and digital) including, but not limited to, newsletters, publications, presentations, photography and videography, fundraising materials, digital/social media, and website
- Manage the continued development and use of TA’s branding and graphic identity, establishing and enforcing guidelines to ensure its consistent and correct application
Leadership & Administration
- Manage the creation of, and adherence to, the organization’s annual communications and marketing budget
- Serve as a leader and mentor to the Marketing and Communications team
Qualified candidates will bring:
- 7+ years of experience in communications, marketing, or related fields — experience working in public relations, government, journalism or in a communications capacity for an elected or political official, advocacy organization or public relations or media outlet a plus
- A proven track record of developing and implementing communications strategies
- Excellent written and oral communication skills — the ability to make TA’s work come alive through top-quality written materials, stories, and talking points
- The ability to distill complex positions into soundbite-ready talking points
- Experience establishing and maintaining positive relations with a range of media outlets
- Current knowledge of New York City’s neighborhoods and political landscape
- Experience and comfort acting as a spokesperson and interacting directly with the media and members of the public
- The ability to manage multiple stakeholders and a commitment to working collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, advocates, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
- Leadership skills, with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Proficiency in social media platforms, and online content management systems, Adobe InDesign and Photoshop a plus
- Commitment to social justice and antiracism, and a nuanced understanding of the ways in which TA’s work intersects with race and equity
- Enthusiasm for and demonstrated commitment to TA’s mission
Please send a resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with “Senior Director for Marketing & Communications” in the subject line.
Transportation Alternatives is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law. We value having diverse staff in gender, ethnicity, background and modal preference. BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.