Details: Competitive nonprofit wage commensurate with experience.
380 Washington St
Do you believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid? Would you like to work where you are encouraged to promote fun, creativity and play? If you are motivated and you possess leadership experience- both on and off the playground – we want you to join our team and put your passion for play to work for us.
Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power of play to transform children’s physical and emotional health. Playworks currently serves more than 1,300 schools in 23 U.S. cities, and reaches 700,000 students directly and through professional training services.
At Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. We partner with schools, districts, and after-school programs to provide a service or mix of services including on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support recess, and consultative partnerships.
Here’s where you come in:
In the role of Grant Accountant, you will play a support role in the Playworks Finance department, a very customer service oriented team supporting over 700 employees in 23 nationwide offices. You will support the general accounting, revenue recognition, compliance, audit and reporting functions of Playworks.
Specifically, you will:
- Be responsible for managing the life of multiple federal, state and city as well as hundreds of private and foundation grants contracts
- Maintain timely and accurate agency financial records and meet deadlines in accordance with requirements of funders
- Ensure compliance with regulations and generally accepted accounting principles
- Perform ad hoc analyses
- Drive process improvements
- Become a superuser of the Sage Intacct accounting system
- Manage the reporting of government grants and contracts including invoicing, as well as internal and external compliance reporting
- Develop and maintain grant financial reports that are relevant and timely to help support management in decision making
- Monitor grant budgets and expenditures to ensure targets are met
- Ensure timely preparation and submission of periodic vouchers and expenditure reports
- Work closely with program management on program, budgets, modifications and other financial aspects in a timely manner
- Review payment requests for assigned contracts to ensure budget supports expenses
- Prepare and post revenue releases for restricted grants
- Conduct monthly analysis of Trial Balance/General Ledger, prepare reconciliations and perform adjustments as needed
- Prepare materials for program and agency-wide audits
- Provide on-going orientation, training and feedback to staff
- Perform additional duties as requested by management
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or related field
- A minimum of two years work experience in a not-for-profit organization with an emphasis on grant administration.
- Knowledge of grants and grant administration systems, processes and budgeting.
- Ability to analyze and systematically compile technical information and to prepare reports, comprehend and make inferences from written material; interpret federal, state and local government laws and regulations regarding grant contracts and administration.
- Work effectively with a variety of staff and outside government representatives.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Word and Excel and ability to learn and master cloud-based software applications
- Detail-oriented and self-directed, with the ability to multi-task upholding high professional standards
- Ability to thrive working both independently and within team settings
- Adaptive with creative problem-solving skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Versatility, flexibility and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm; ability to maintain composure under stress
- Ability to travel locally, if necessary
- Comfort with a playfully professional workplace culture
Compensation & Benefits:
- Playworks offers the full package - great benefits, a fun place to work and an opportunity to grow professionally. We offer:
- Competitive nonprofit wage commensurate with experience. This is a full-time non exempt position based in Oakland, CA.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) with employer match, life insurance, employee funded pre-tax health and child care spending accounts.
- Generous paid time off with paid vacation, sick and holiday leave.
This is a hands-on, creative, playful and fun-loving place to work, all while contributing to the success of our nation’s youth. So if you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, working on a rewarding set of challenges and if you've got the skills, experience, passion, and a team spirit, apply!
- A cover letter describing your interest in Playworks and how your experience has prepared you for this role.
- If we think you’re the right fit, we’ll request your references; there’s no need to include them at the outset.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe and healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing and managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities. Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community and healthy play are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting and retaining the best talent we can.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, gender identity/expression, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability, or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.
A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) with employer match, life insurance, employee funded pre-tax health and child care spending accounts.
Generous paid time off with paid vacation, sick and holiday leave.
Minimum Education Required