Details: Negotiable, DOE
904 West 2nd Street
The American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas (ACLU-AR) seeks a dynamic team player to fill the position of Administration and Finance Manager. This position requires hard financial and computer literacy skills, the ability to maintain confidentiality, exercise sound independent judgment, attend closely to details, and take initiative. The Administration and Finance Manager will report directly to the Executive Director.
The ACLU-AR is a non-profit, nonpartisan organization that works to defend and expand individual rights and personal freedoms guaranteed by the U.S. and Arkansas Constitutions, the Bill of Rights, and state and federal civil rights laws. The ACLU-AR advocates for a broad range issues, including, but not limited to, free speech, freedom of religion, LGBTQ rights, reproductive freedom, criminal justice reform, racial justice, immigrants’ rights, and privacy rights. An affiliate of the national ACLU, the state affiliate has members across Arkansas and engages with all levels of government. With offices located in Little Rock, we maintain a fast-paced and friendly work environment. We are a growing organization, with lots of opportunity for professional development.
This is an exciting time to join the ACLU. With enormous threats to civil rights arising in nearly every area of the ACLU’s work, we’ve seen a phenomenal outpouring of support from new members, donors, and volunteers who view the ACLU as the nation’s principal defender of fundamental freedoms and liberties. The ACLU of Arkansas is doing its part in the nationwide struggle to defend the Constitution while working to protect and advance civil rights and liberties here in Arkansas.
To learn more about the work of the ACLU please visit www.acluarkansas.org and www.aclu.org.
A financial and administrative oversight position, with office management duties in a small office (under 8 people).
· Financial Management & Accounting: Manage basic finance functions including, accounts payable and receivable, maintaining the general ledger, oversight of the work of the outside accounting firm, ensuring compliance with internal policies and local, state and federal law; Coordinate the preparation of all tax reports and the annual audit, prepare monthly and quarterly financial reports and present to the board as needed; develop and implement systems for internal controls.
· Human Resources: Administer the human resources program, including recruiting and on-boarding, exit formalities, benefits, payroll, and other compensation and personnel-related activities; Work with the Executive Director to ensure the organization implements best practices and strong HR systems and processes. Maintain personnel files and manage employee time-tracking system. Promote a positive and inclusive culture by making the office a welcoming and collaborative place to work.
· Office Management: Oversee, manage and optimize the day-to-day and long-term operational systems of the organization: facilities, office services, files, technology. Work with office administrative staff. Maintain a positive and welcoming workplace atmosphere.
· Compliance: Enhance and/or develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures of the organization; ensure timely completion of reports and forms for the National ACLU and State of Arkansas, including lobbying reports, charitable organization renewals, and tax forms.
· Budget Planning and Monitoring: Assist the Executive Director with the annual budget process and monitor implementation; Prepare budget and cash-flow reports for Executive Director and Board of Directors.
· Board Relations: Provide administrative and logistical support to the Board of Directors.
· Strong commitment to civil rights and civil liberties.
· At least three years relevant work experience.
· Work experience that demonstrates professionalism, a strong sense of discretion and the ability to exercise good judgment in stressful circumstances.
· Exceptional financial management skills.
· Experience and excellency with computers in support of the accounting function to include QuickBooks (or other accounting program), Excel, and Word for use in financial reporting; the ability to professionally format documents.
· Outstanding attention to detail, work ethic, and problem-solving skills, as well as a willingness to learn new skills.
· Ability to develop organizational systems and procedures.
· Ability to work on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment, to work collaboratively and prioritize with colleagues.
· Experience maintaining personnel files. as.
· Strong interpersonal skills.
· A commitment to and understanding of diversity; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
· Flexibility in work schedule; ability to work on occasional evenings or weekends, with prior notice (reciprocal time-off available).
· Strong, demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.
· A reliable vehicle, registered and insured and the appropriate operator’s license.
· Hiring, supervising, motivating, disciplining and training staff.
· Presenting financial statements.
· Budget planning and implementation.
· Mediating personnel conflict
· Working with an Auditor.
Excellent benefits, including fully employer paid family health and dental insurance plan; long and short-term disability and life insurance; employer-matched 401(k); generous sick, vacation, and holiday leave, starting with two weeks.
Applicants will be reviewed beginning 2/5/2018and will be accepted until the position is filled.
The ACLU-AR is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU-AR encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a cover letter, resume, three professional references and a short (two-page) business writing sample to the ACLU of Arkansas by mail or email:
by mail, to: Development Director Job, ACLU of Arkansas, 904 West 2nd Street, Little Rock, AR 72201
by email, to: firstname.lastname@example.org (note: please put “Development Director” and your last name in the subject line.)
Please indicate how you learned about the position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position has been filled. Applications without cover letters will not be acknowledged.