Details: Compensation Commensurate with Experience
91 Larkspur Street
Canal Alliance is seeking an ESL Program Manager. The ESL Manager provides administrative and instructional leadership for the adult ESL program, and is responsible for ensuring the program delivers the desired outcomes. The ESL Manager reports to the Director of Education, and will supervise the ESL Supervisor, teachers and aides. This is a full-time, exempt position. Candidates should have the ability to work Monday-Friday, including evenings and occasional Saturdays.
About the Organization
Canal Alliance is a nonprofit champion of immigrants who are challenged by a lack of resources and an unfamiliar environment. We believe everyone has the right to achieve their dreams. Every day, we educate, empower, support, and partner with motivated immigrants to best meet all their unique needs—from putting food on the table, to becoming American citizens, to learning English, to graduating from college. Because when we support immigrants, Marin becomes a place where everyone can live, work, and succeed.
The Canal Alliance ESL program serves approximately 700 adult students each year, in over 50 classes from beginning to high intermediate levels.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and deliver an ESL program that produces the desired student outcomes
- Select, train, schedule, supervise, support and evaluate paid teachers and volunteers
- Develop, select, and evaluate curriculum and instructional strategies
- Design and oversee implementation of student outreach strategy
- Design and oversee implementation of student enrollment process and placement in proper level
- Implement student English assessment in order to measure progress toward completing class milestones
- Program data monitoring, analysis and planning (student assessments, class completion, progress toward goal, attendance)
- Develop new partnerships and grow existing partnerships
- Participate in team and agency meetings
Knowledge, skills and abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and ability required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of effective ESL curriculum and instruction, adult learning theory, and program administration
- Ability to create reports and analyze data
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Ability to establish positive working relationships with staff, volunteers, and clients
- Ability to function with minimal supervision, follow directions, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- High competency using Outlook, Word and data systems
- Reliable transportation needed
This is a full-time position with benefits. We offer a competitive salary with a benefits package that includes 3 weeks paid vacation a year, 12 days of sick leave a year and 100% paid employee medical & dental insurance. In addition, there are 12 paid holidays annually, a 403(b) retirement plan, a Flex cafeteria plan, long term disability insurance and an employee assistance program.
Canal Alliance Equity and Inclusion Statement
Canal Alliance actively promotes and recognizes principles of fairness, equity, and social justice in relation to, and across, intersections of race, age, color, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, disability, ancestry and all other identities represented among our diverse employees.
By appreciating the importance of inclusion, we acknowledge that the collective and individual talents, skills, and perspectives of our staff foster a culture of belonging, safety, collaborative practice, innovation, and mutual respect.
Canal Alliance is committed to the transformation of attitudes and systems that deprive any person or group of these principals.
Level of Language Proficiency
Education and Experience Requirements
- Minimum 1 year administrative/leadership experience
- Minimum 3 years adult ESL teaching experience
- Bachelor’s Degree, with a TESOL certification or TESOL Master’s Degree
- Experience working with low-income and/or immigrant communities
- Bilingual in Spanish/English (required)
Minimum Education Required