Bartlett Arboretum & Gardens
151 Brookdale Road
PART-TIME EDUCATOR (24 hours per week)
Reports to Education Director for Educational Duties, otherwise to CEO
Position open immediately
A 24 hour/week part-time teaching position with Bartlett Arboretum & Gardens to assist with our school, camp, outreach, after-school, and public programming. The ideal candidate will be comfortable teaching a wide variety of ages from pre-school-aged children through adults. Botany and horticulture knowledge required. General knowledge pertaining to other environmental education topics, such as sustainability, environmentalism, STEM-based learning, is also necessary. Candidates should be familiar with current educational trends and techniques at a local and national level, and be comfortable providing developmentally appropriate programming to a diverse population in both an urban and suburban setting.
- Teach on campus during the school year and summer, which may include city-wide second grade program, after-school programs, adult programming, public education programming, summer camp
- Perform outreach programming at senior facilities, daycares, mental health facilities, community organizations, schools, etc.
- Develop lesson plans and design curriculum
- Support new education initiatives laid out by the organization at the beginning of each teaching year
- Help manage high-school and college-aged interns, boy/girl scout groups, corporate volunteers,
- Help maintain a clean and organized classroom and working environment
- Minimum B.A./B.S in plant science, environmental science, biology, education, or related field
- Minimum two years of teaching experience
- Experience working with children in an indoor and outdoor setting, providing them with safe, but enriching and engaging, learning opportunities
- Must be able to work in a team setting as well as independently; flexibility and strong interpersonal skills is key.
- Enthusiasm for the botanical and natural world and sharing it with children and adults is a must
- Must be willing to work weekends and evenings as needed
- Current CPR/First Aid certifications or willingness to obtain
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive a passenger van a must
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required