The Tutor will conduct one-on-one tutoring sessions with 4 or more students in grades K-6 per week. These sessions will be held in the students' foster homes, at the Foundling's regional offices in each borough, or elsewhere in the community. Sessions will be directed at helping students develop the academic skills they need to succeed. Tutors will be expected to create a calm and accepting environment for their students, and tailor the sessions to each student's knowledge and needs.
- Spend in-office time developing teaching materials such as simple homework assignments and exercises aimed at helping students strengthen their academic fundamentals.
- Submit feedback after each meeting with a student, and will engage in group discussions around identifying and troubleshooting specific student issues, developing new general methods for engaging students, and teaching various types of content.
Tutors must travel and work throughout Staten Island, NY and must be willing to work flex hour to meet the availability of the children/youth. This position will require 5-15 hours per week.
One of the educational and experience requirements below must be met at a minimum:
- High School Diploma or GED
*Some preference will be given to candidates who are currently studying education or a related field, or who have experience working with children in an academic setting.
Qualified Applicants will be:
- Compassionate and patient, and sensitive to the needs of our target population.
- Able to develop and tailor lessons that fit the particular strengths of each child.
- Capable of working in a group setting, and of giving and receiving critical feedback.
- Detail oriented, responsible, and punctual.
*We will consider any candidate who demonstrates the potential to provide outstanding instruction to younger children. Bilingual Spanish speakers are strongly encouraged to apply.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply via https://www.nyfoundling.org/about/jobs/ This job is posted under "Per Diem Tutor"