10901 West 120th Avenue
The Charter School Growth Fund (CSGF) is a leading nonprofit venture philanthropy fund dedicated to identifying the nation’s best public charter schools, funding their expansion, and helping to increase their impact. Our “portfolio” includes 60+ charter school networks that operate 800+ schools and serve more than 350,000 students. We operate with the same strategies, discipline, and focus as a venture capital firm by awarding multi-year grants and loans to talented education entrepreneurs who are building networks of high-quality charter schools that enroll significant numbers of low-income and minority students. Ultimately, we think our portfolio can grow to serve ~1,000,000 students.
The Role: The Project Manager will provide project planning and leadership to manage multiple, complex projects to successful outcomes. She/he will lead well-defined, high-profile events and projects (CSGF Annual Portfolio Retreat; Annual Investor Report; CSGF Marketing Plan) while demonstrating flexibility to step into emerging projects throughout the year. This position is ideal for an individual with strong project management experience and great communication skills who seeks to play a meaningful role in the movement to expand great schools that put low-income students on path to college and career success.
The Team: CSGF’s Investor Relations & Strategy (IR) team is responsible for fundraising/donor relations, board engagement, organizational strategy, marketing & PR, and CSGF’s annual Portfolio Retreat. The team creates compelling materials and experiences that demonstrate the collective impact of high-performing charter schools, and raises more than $300 million dollars to grow and support these schools. IR team members are highly collaborative, seek to continuously improve their practices, and leverage each other’s strengths to benefit the team and organization.
Reporting to the Partner, Investor Relations, the responsibilities of the Project Manager will include:
(1) Serve as project manager for the annual Portfolio Retreat, CSGF’s signature event attended by 200+ senior portfolio charter leaders, funders, and national K-12 education and business leaders
• Develop and own the Retreat project plan to drive effective communication and timely completion of goals for five-member project team
• Lead all operations, event budget, logistics and future site selection, supported by IR team and external Events Manager
(2) Lead project to produce and distribute the CSGF Annual Investor Report, an ~80-page document that is the centerpiece for CSGF investor reporting and communication with prospective funders
• Collaborate with the Director, Investor Relations to determine vision for the report, key content, contributors, design, and data elements
• Develop and own the project plan; write sub-sections of content, serve as editor-in-chief; oversee successful report design and distribution; and serve as lead point of contact with external consultants
(3) Coordinate execution of CSGF marketing efforts, including website updates, development of collateral, PR support and maintenance of CSGF-branded materials
• Ensure timely, effective execution of the CSGF Marketing Plan, facilitating contributions from designated sources across CSGF team for the website and other external-facing branded information
• Project manage development of 1-3 collateral pieces annually to support external outreach to external audiences and serve as lead point of contact with CSGF advertising agency
(4) Manage ad hoc projects, reports & meeting prep related to CSGF’s fundraising & donor engagement
• Work collaboratively with the IR team to develop and produce donor communication in peak fundraising/reporting seasons, primarily by producing effective PowerPoint presentations
• Periodically write donor reports and serve as resource for board material process and meetings
The Project Manager must understand and support CSGF’s belief that every child deserves high-quality public schools in their community, and have the following characteristics:
1. Organized: Meets deadlines, moves well from high-level strategy to planning and implementing details, and demonstrates ability to manage multiple complex projects
2. Great Communicator: Superior interpersonal skills including listening well, articulating needs clearly, providing timely feedback, and providing motivation for teams to achieve goals
3. Proactive problem solver: Capitalizes on opportunities to improve project efficiency, results or team performance, often using technology to make systems better
4. Adaptable: Finds ways to get stuff done in ambiguous and messy environments
5. Respectful: Builds trusted and authentic relationships with team members and external partners
Educational Background and Work Experience
• Bachelor’s degree required; project management certification preferred
• Experience in positions with high levels of ambiguity, regular exposure to senior leadership, work that requires strong attention to detail, working on multiple projects at one time, and tight timelines
• Five or more years of professional experience, preferably working in project management or consulting
• Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Adobe and project management software
• Experience working in K-12 education is a plus, but not required
WORKING AT CSGF
We are focused on hiring and developing great people and believe that building diverse perspectives across our team makes us more effective in expanding our impact. (This is reflected in Our Commitment to Diversity Statement.) Our core values are:
• Results. We work relentlessly to create efficient, measurable, and sustainable results. We strive for excellence and pursue our mission tenaciously. Ideally, you thrive working in a self-directed manner in a fluid environment where flexibility and tenacity are required.
• Entrepreneurship. We embrace calculated risks and new approaches. We have an entrepreneurial spirit that welcomes innovation, diversity of ideas, and risk. We rely on you to question conventional wisdom and think independently.
• Integrity. We are truthful, fair, and trustworthy in all aspects of our work. We hold ourselves and our partners to the highest ethical standards. We trust you will too.
• Respect. We appreciate the challenges faced by education entrepreneurs and recognize the limits of our own knowledge. We understand that our ultimate success depends on that of our partners. Your humility will be key to building trusted and authentic relationships.
• Teamwork. We value each of our team members as individuals but believe that we achieve the best results by working together. We willingly sacrifice individual interests and recognition for greater collective impact. We hope having fun at work is important to you and that you are a team player.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and education. CSGF offers a very competitive compensation package and this position is eligible for a performance bonus.
CSGF seeks candidates who can start as soon as available
Minimum Education Required