Development and Outreach Administrative Assistant (Part-Time)
1400 N. Uhle St., Suite #704
Background: Founded in 1974, Offender Aid and Restoration (OAR) of Arlington, Alexandria and Falls Church, is a community-based nonprofit organization working with men and women returning to the community from incarceration and offering alternative sentencing options through community service to youth and adults. OAR is also part of the public safety family and partners with the Arlington County, City of Alexandria, and City of Falls Church Government, Arlington and Alexandria Sheriff’s Office, Arlington, Alexandria and Falls Church Probation and Parole Offices, Virginia Department of Corrections, Virginia Criminal Justice Services, and Safety-net nonprofits, among other stakeholders, to ensure a thriving community.
Vision: OAR envisions a safe and thriving community where those impacted by the criminal justice system enjoy equal civil and human rights.
Values: Respect, Community, Justice, Compassion, Commitment, Integrity.
More information may be found at www.OARonline.org
Fair Chance Business: We have joined other businesses across the country by taking the Fair Chance Business Pledge, which provides: “We are committed to providing individuals with criminal records, including formerly incarcerated individuals, a fair chance to participate in the American economy.”
Job Summary: This position involves working closely with the Director of Development and Outreach to support the daily operations of the department. The ideal candidate will have experience in administrative work, outreach, volunteer management, and event coordination. The position is for 25 hours per week, with some additional hours that will be required around special events in December, March/April, and August. The Development and Outreach Associate will need to embrace the OAR team values of Justice, Community, Commitment, Compassion, Respect, and Integrity. This position is supervised by the Director of Development and Outreach.
- Entering data into Bloomerang (our contact management system), such as new contacts, organizations, donations, event attendance, etc.
- Preparing thank you letters to all donors promptly.
- Execute a variety of administrative projects, such as facilitating mass mailings, setting up and preparing materials for meetings, and more.
- Record volunteers’ hours on a regular basis and proactively take steps to ensure all volunteer hours are being tracked.
- Assist with logistics for the OAR Tours including tracking RSVPs for the tours, scheduling tour dates, and ensuring staff is available to speak at the tours.
- Support the Development and Outreach team with administrative aspects of the Second Chance Fundraising Breakfast, OAR’s largest annual fundraiser, which has approximately 600 guests in attendance. Tasks include tracking RSVPs for the event, creating and distributing packets of materials to Table Captains, making nametags for all attendees, and other tasks as assigned.
- Support the Development and Outreach team with administrative aspects of Project Christmas Angel, an annual event to provide holiday gifts to children of incarcerated parents. Tasks include tracking RSVPs for the event, entering data about the children/family into the participant database, documenting donations for the program, and other tasks as assigned.
- Support the Development and Outreach team with administrative aspects of Project Backpack, an annual event to provide backpacks and school supplies to children of incarcerated parents. Tasks include tracking RSVPs for the event, entering data about the children/family into the participant database, and other tasks as assigned.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time while working on a computer and/or desktop.
- Must be able to communicate with others over the phone and via email.
- Must be able to move and transport up to 25 lbs of packages and equipment.
- At special events, the position will require long periods of standing.
Required Qualifications and Special Conditions:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong administrative, data entry, and customer service skills.
- Must have attention to detail and value accuracy in work.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to proficiently operate a computer, email system, and Microsoft Office Suite or similar software.
- Embrace the OAR team values of Justice, Community, Commitment, Compassion, Respect, and Integrity.
- Ability to interact with everyone in a professional manner.
- Applicant must agree to authorize OAR to contact, obtain, and verify the accuracy of information contained in his/her application from all previous employers, educational institutions, and references.
- Ability to work 25 hours per week, with the opportunity for additional hours surrounding special events (particularly in December, March/April, and August).
- Experience with an online contact management system (such as Bloomerang).
Pro-rated benefits: OAR offers a competitive benefits package.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply for consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Please send resume and cover letter explaining why you are qualified for this position to email@example.com. Ensure that your email subject line includes Development and Outreach Administrative Assistant Application.
OAR is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity and expression, marital or military status, or based on any individual’s status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
This job posting does not constitute an agreement or contract for any specified or guaranteed length of employment. Accordingly, OAR may terminate the at-will employment relationship, with or without cause, at any time, unless otherwise prohibited by law. Any misrepresentation or material omission made on this application will be sufficient cause for cancellation of this application or immediate termination of employment if the applicant is employed, whenever such misrepresentations or material omissions may be discovered.