Upwardly Global is the nation’s leader in helping foreign-trained immigrants and refugees integrate into the American workforce. We prepare immigrants and refugees for jobs that match their education and skills, and we provide employers with the expertise to create inclusive hiring practices so they can take advantage of this untapped and valuable talent pool. These are exciting times to be part of an entrepreneurial organization with a deeply meaningful mission. Upwardly Global currently operates in 9 states from offices in New York City, San Francisco, Chicago and DC with ambitions for greater impact throughout the US including the recent decision to join a dynamic group of like-minded mission driven organizations that includes the American Refugee Committee.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the VP of Finance and Administration will oversee the organization’s financial systems ensuring compliance with GAAP and be a valuable member of the senior management team making significant contributions to strategy and operations. The VP of Finance will manage the financial policies, procedures, and controls that protect UpGlo’s financial resources; lead budget planning and forecasting; produce timely accurate financial information that is relevant to strategic and operational decision making; and be the financial leader of the senior management team. This position will further oversee general administrative functions including facilities management and purchasing.
This position requires a high level of business ethics, attention to detail, financial and accounting acumen, organization and prioritization, and the ability to analyze, understand, and recommend changes to financial and operational strategies in order to maintain a strong balance sheet and overall financial health. The VP of Finance and Administration is a key member of the Executive Leadership Team and will work closely with the CEO, Vice President of Development Strategy, Vice President of Programs, and the organization's board of directors, as applicable.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee the Finance Department’s operations
- Responsible for the performance of the accounting team including: supervising, motivating and coaching
- Oversee/Prepare monthly/quarterly/annual financial statements ensuring integrity and accuracy
- Manage the annual operating budget process and related reporting, including: monthly revenue and expense forecasting, and monthly cash flow reconciliation
- Provide timely, accurate, and in-depth financial analysis to the CEO and senior leadership team
- Run asset/liability management and budget modeling
- Responsible for the set-up/change/review of internal controls as needed
- Assist external auditors to prepare for and successfully complete the annual audit. In collaboration with CEO and Board of Directors Finance Committee, resolve any areas of concern
- Supervise preparation of financial reporting to donors
- Oversee grant financial reports and summaries for grant reporting process; working closely with the Development team
- File timely and accurate IRS Form 990 and other annual reports or filings required by funders and stakeholders
- Responsible for business licenses, charitable registrations, and compliance with DBA requirements in all applicable states
- Ensure fiscal and contractual compliance with institutional and government contracts
- Oversee general administrative responsibilities including but not limited to facilities management, procurement, and insurance policies
- Coordinate with the Human Resources team on benefit and payroll administration
- Oversee financial relationships with vendors, independent contractors, and consultants
- Build upon and improve existing management reporting and compliance systems (both financial and operational reporting) to support the organization as it grows and scales.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Bachelor degree in either Accounting or Finance is required; Master's degree / MBA /CPA strongly preferred. Foreign degree equivalent acceptable with valid translation.
- Minimum of 5 to 7 years of increasingly responsible managerial or financial oversight, administrative management and leadership experience in a nonprofit environment
- Government contract management experience
- Demonstrated ability to effectively oversee the finances of a national organization with multiple P&L's and multiple revenue streams
- Demonstrated leadership and communication competencies that enable effective communication and collaboration with a national board of directors and C-Suite leaders.
- Ability to translate and communicate financial and GAAP principles to non-financial leaders and train and develop P&L owners in financial literacy.
Work Environment/Physical Requirements
- This is a largely sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear and see
- Must be available for 10-15% business travel, including but not limited to travel to budget retreat, board of directors retreat, and audit firm meetings.
Competitive Salary Package
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluent in English (written and spoken)
Minimum Education Required