A YPIE College Advisor provides comprehensive college access and enrollment services to juniors and seniors in the YPIE programs that will result in student enrollment, persistence, and completion from a 2 or 4-year college.
- Collaborate with administrators and staff from assigned Yonkers high schools to identify, recruit, and onboard eligible YPIE students
- Make presentations to student and parent groups to get the word out about the YPIE programs
- Use data to recruit best fit students to our YPIE Fellows Program
- Collaborate with YPIE College Access Team and with other members of the YPIE staff to share best practices and achieve student results.
- Provide individualized grade level college guidance to each assigned junior YPIE student including, but not limited to: assessing each student’s college aspirations and goals; review of transcript; confirming Naviance access ; creation of appropriate/good fit college lists including Opportunity program schools (if eligible), and Selective Colleges that Meet Demonstrated Need, YPIE partner colleges, financially safe colleges and Reach, Target and Safety schools; supporting students through college essay process, identifying students who are appropriate for Opportunity Programs.
- Provide grade level college guidance to each assigned senior YPIE student including, but not limited to: assistance completing and submitting college applications to Reach, Target and Safety schools; assistance completing FAFSA/TAP/CSS documents and scholarship applications; analysis of final school acceptances and financial aid packages to guide students to make college commitments.
- Meet with and include parents/guardians one-on-one or in groups on all aspects of the process.
- Collaborate with volunteers to assist in providing services to YPIE students.
- Guide students to participate in YPIE Programs: that could include SAT/ACT Prep, Essay Writing, Interview Skills, and other offerings that support their path to college.
- Advocate to college admissions officers on behalf of students when appropriate.
- Plan and chaperone students on YPIE college visits.
- Occasionally host or participate in on-site or remote college info sessions.
- Participate in professional development opportunities that keep college guidance skills up to date and effective for the YPIE clients.
- After seniors commit to colleges, support all seniors through the enrollment process to remove all barriers to enrollment including but not limited to:
- activating new school and email accounts,
- submitting medical forms,
- signing up for orientation,
- accepting loans and completing loan counseling and MPN (if necessary),
- setting up a payment plan.
- Create and maintain records on each of your students, using YPIE’s data system, Naviance and/or other tracking systems.
- Meet regularly with Director, College Access to update status of students in cohort.
YPIE Special Program Support
- Support the implementation of YPIE district-wide programs and activities, including but not limited to college essay writing workshops/days; WCC, SUNY, and CUNY application completion days; college fairs; financial aid and FAFSA completion workshops/events; summer junior boost workshops; year-end college transition days; and other district-wide college access services.
- Conduct professional development workshops for YPS guidance staff and others on topics that will enhance the school district’s overall college access services (Naviance, recommendation letter writing, financial aid).