131 S.West St.
Staff Position: Front Desk Receptionist Information & Referral (PT-25 hours per week)Non-exempt
Position Description: Primary responsibilities are:
To assist those calling Catholic Charities Christ House, for emergency financial aid in order to prevent eviction or utility shut off. The receptionist follows a list of questions to determine if the caller qualifies for assistance and tracks their responses on a referral form. Based on CCDA guidelines, the receptionist will help callers understand why they do or do not qualify and if they do qualify advises them as to their next steps. The receptionist reviews the referral log and turns it over to the case worker. Secondary responsibility is to answer the front door of those coming to Christ House (i.e. Patrons, Clients, Volunteers, Residents, Homeless, etc.).
- To answer and screen incoming calls.
- To help put callers at ease and to make them feel their calls are welcomed.
- Inform callers that they need to answer a series of questions to determine if they might qualify for emergency financial assistance.
- To carefully record the responses of the callers and determine if they would qualify at this time.
- Help refer callers to other organizations if they do not qualify.
- For those that qualify, provide instructions for the next steps.
- At the end of the day turn in the referral log to the case worker and advise if there are any priority cases.
- Remain current on the CCDA Guidelines for Emergency Financial Assistance.
- Answer the Christ House front door and direct visitors.
- Provide backup support for Christ House emergency assistance staff.
- Support the pantry in preparing food bags.
- Some data entry (volunteer hours).
- Replenish lobby magazine racks with flyers, etc. / keep job board updated.
- Set up EA appointments.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to multi-task in a fast paced work environment.
- Strong listening skills and demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to present a positive professional image.
- Ability to work in a team setting and also to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Proficient in use of the internet.
Education and Experience:
- Some college and/or equivalent experience. Undergraduate degree and experience in provision of human services is preferred.
- Strong interest in helping underserved populations is a plus.
- The employee is required to lift up to 25 pounds using such items as hand trucks, dollies and/or carts.
- Must be able to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to use a computer keyboard and handle food; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. Required to stoop, kneel or crouch and climb a ladder.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Vacation, holiday and sick benefits.
Minimum Education Required