Junior Software Engineer
You need to be able to produce high-quality, maintainable code and responsive web interfaces. If you can do that and want to work on a team of passionate engineers who enjoy finding creative solutions to problems together, then this is the job for you.
This position reports to the Software Engineering Manager. It is a full time, exempt position located in Oakland, CA.
- Full-stack Ruby on Rails development
- Experience in using React JS framework
- Participate in the continued development of the GreatSchools.org website.
- Work closely with engineering management, systems administration, and product management to guide features from inception to release.
- Participate in frequent code reviews
Experience, education, and skills:
- At least one year professional Ruby on Rails web programming experience, ideally including:
- Responsive design: HTML, CSS, Sass, Bootstrap, etc.
- Automated testing via RSpec
- Git or similar version control system
- MySQL and ORM tools like ActiveRecord
- Test-driven development and agile methodologies
- Must possess high level of enthusiasm and be a strong team player
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Enthusiasm for working collaboratively within an Agile scrum team
- You are inspired by our mission at GreatSchools
- Have an intimate knowledge of full stack web development best practices and have demonstrable experience taking significant projects from spec to release
- Have a strong customer focus and the ability to build solutions fast and of high quality
- Enjoy working on a team of passionate engineers in a collaborative Agile scrum environment
- Positive work ethic, sense of humor, and willing to participate in the occasional board game or ping pong match
- Spanish fluency strongly preferred
- Strong ties to Oakland community strongly preferred
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, including salary requirements, along with your résumé. Your cover letter should include reasons why you want to work at GreatSchools. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered. No phone calls please.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace.
GreatSchools is the leading national nonprofit empowering parents to improve educational opportunities for their child. GreatSchools’ trusted ratings and school quality information help parents find the right school for their family and take action to improve schools in their communities. The thousands of articles, tips and interactive tools help parents support their child’s learning and well-being every day. Families, community leaders and policy-makers turn to GreatSchools for the school information they need to guide children to great futures.
Minimum Education Required