250 Greenwich Street
About the New York Academy of Sciences
The New York Academy of Sciences is an independent, not-for-profit organization that since 1817 has been committed to advancing science, technology, and society worldwide. With more than 20,000 members in 100 countries around the world, the Academy is creating a global community of science for the benefit of humanity. The Academy's core mission is to advance scientific knowledge, positively impact the major global challenges of society with science-based solutions, and increase the number of scientifically informed individuals in society at large. Please visit us online at www.nyas.org.
JOB TITLE: Manager, Membership
DEPARTMENT: Membership (Communications & Network Engagement)
REPORTS TO: SVP, Communications & Network Engagement
The New York Academy of Sciences (NYAS) is an independent, not-for-profit organization whose mission is to advance scientific research, education and policy. Founded in 1817, NYAS has more than 20,000 members in 100+ countries, comprising one of the world's most elite networks of scientists, engineers and STEM professionals. Having just celebrated its Bicentennial Year, the Academy is seeking a motivated membership or development professional to help realize its new vision for “Third Century Membership”: a growing, engaged community of experts, working on behalf of science and society. The Membership Manager will lead the development and execution of a clearly defined strategy to acquire and engage new organizational members, including universities, research institutions, K-12 educational institutions, and STEM-focused small to medium enterprises.
- Drive $110K+ of new net revenue (annual) through sales and renewals of organizational Membership.
- Develop and manage a robust pipeline to acquire new organizational members across academia & industry.
- Work with Marketing, Membership and Development teams to identify and cultivate new prospects
- Work with Membership, Customer Service and Development teams to ensure existing institutional Memberships are renewed through effective relationship management, & strategies to engage organizational Members.
- Research existing demographics of the Member and non-Member universes. Conduct and analyze market research to determine competition, generate customer insights, and identify areas of opportunity for new Member acquisition.
- Work with SVP, Communications & Network Engagement to set and review revenue membership acquisition goals on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis. Achieve goals through effective planning, analysis of past performance, and deep understanding of customer needs and preferences.
- Manage NYAS relationships with existing organizational members, in close collaboration with Development and Membership teams
- Work with Membership Coordinator to ensure accurate reporting on membership acquisition and renewal efforts, including pulling data and metrics to provide detailed information on pipeline status
None. However, this individual will have administrative support from a Membership Coordinator for pipeline management and renewals.
- Undergraduate degree required.
- Three+ years of professional experience in one or more of the following areas: fundraising &/or business development, B2B sales & relationship management, or membership acquisition.
- Proven track record of excellent performance in meeting targets and objectives.
- Ability to build strong relationships with colleagues, prospects and existing customers
- Strong analytical, strategic planning, and relationship management skills are critical.
- Must have the ability to manage multiple, complex priorities within demanding timeframes and be able to plan and manage at both strategic and operational levels.
- Ultimately we are looking for a driven, high-energy team player who is excited about taking this organization to a new level in its Third Century as a membership organization. Prior experience in science-based organizations is a plus, but not mandatory.
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, etc. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some movement is required. Examples would be lifting files, opening filling cabinets and bending or standing as necessary.
The New York Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer, adhering to the laws which prohibit discrimination in the terms, conditions and privileges of employment. Academy policy expressly prohibits discrimination in employment because of any legally impermissible classification, including but not limited to actual or perceived race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Equal Opportunity and equal consideration will be afforded to all personnel actions involving applicants and employees, including (but not limited to) recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, job assignments, working conditions, rates of pay or other compensation, discipline, transfer and layoff, or termination.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY:
We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package to both full-time and part-time staff that includes affordable health care insurance, tuition reimbursement, retirement plan, and liberal vacation time and holiday schedule.
Applications must include a resume, cover letter and salary requirements.