The Development Coordinator is responsible for coordinating Phare Ponleu Selpak's (PPS) fundraising efforts. He/she will write grant proposals to support PPS' programs. He/she will coordinate with PPS' Management team in the development of all proposals. He/she will also manage PPS’ current fundraising initiatives (direct mailings and donor relationships) and develop new fundraising strategies (major donors, corporate partnerships). He/she will work directly under PPS' Development & Communications Manager.
Main Roles and Responsibilities:
The roles and responsibilities of the position include the following:
Streamline organizational processes to increase donor sources
- Write concept notes, project proposals and/or funding proposals to potential donors and ensure their timely submission.
- Identify and respond to all relevant “call for proposals” in a timely manner.
- Develop a resource file of funding proposal templates from major donors, as well as create PPS templates to leverage when new potential grants arise.
- Manage the donor database with all contact information and records of previous engagements.
- Search for all possible means of receiving funds from various sources including but not limited to: online donations, cash/cheque donations (received in local and in foreign currency).
- Supervise M&E activities to ensure accurate data for reporting.
Coordination of the organization’s fundraising program
- Develop, in consultation with the relevant staff members, PPS France, Program Manager and Executive Director new ideas for fundraising activities to generate revenue for the organization.
- Enhance the coherence of sister organizations (PPSE, PPS France) to leverage each other’s capabilities for fundraising and avoid conflict.
- Provide administrative and logistical support for implementation of the organization’s fundraising strategy, including annual fundraising calendars, to guide PPS’ pursuit of donor funding in support of identified projects, in line with PPS’ vision, mission and strategic plan.
- Full event management of fundraisers, including event budgeting, venue coordination, guest invitation and registration processes, speaker and VIP support, on-site troubleshooting and event follow-up.
- Create and manage a network of local and international fundraising volunteers.
- Boost the profile of the organization and ease-of-access for potential funders by regularly updating and enhancing the organization’s Website and Facebook.
- Improve and update organization’s communication materials in collaboration with the Communications & Marketing Coordinator.
Networking and donor relationship-building
- Recommend potential donors abroad (namely from Europe and the United States) with the goal of drawing funds from foreign sources into the organization.
- Assist the Management Team and Executive Director in management of correspondence and organizational contact with donors and potential donors.
- Actively participating in relevant meetings, conferences and other functions.
- Making connections with donors through various channels including social media, coordination of site visits, use of local Cambodian and international media.
- Manage all donor relations including gift solicitation, thank you process, reporting and regular donor engagement
- Identifying opportunities for relevant PPS staff members to participate in projects and activities with other stakeholders to strengthen PPS’ network in the Cambodia.
- Develop a fundraising strategy in collaboration with the Development & Communications Manager and derive annual fundraising plans to support PPS' strategic plan.
- Keeping abreast of international donor trends and opportunities and acting as adviser on the same.
- Actively participate in PPS’s strategic planning process to ensure proposed development initiatives are integrated into the fundraising strategy.
- Collaborate with the Management team to identify budget gaps, and to develop new demand driven project ideas, for which to apply for funding.
- Co-facilitate training with relevant staff members to participate in the grant management cycle (training in simple proposal writing, the basics of conducting donor-funded projects, anti-corruption education, responsible handling of donor funds, simple report writing instruction, etc.)
- Manage workloads for direct reports and conduct regular performance evaluations with staff members
- Provide ongoing professional support and development for team members
- Fluent in English (spoken and written), French an asset
- At least a bachelor’s degree in Business/Communication or other related fields.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience, at least three (3) of which must be in the Asian development or not-for-profit sector, with at least some experience working directly with grassroots organizations operating at the community level.
- Excellent writing skills; with the ability to tell a story in a clear, engaging and persuasive way.
- Proven track record soliciting donor funds from international sources, including skills in networking, donor relationships and experience with the requirements of international donor organs (i.e. USAID, DFID, United Nations, European Union).
- Knowledge of fundraising processes
- Excellent critical thinking skills and an ability to act in an advisory capacity to the organization’s Management team.
- Ability to build budgets and plan project funding and supervise financial reporting to donors.
- An aptitude for numbers and spreadsheets
- Experience with the project management and grant management cycles.
- Comfortable with public speaking and meeting/training facilitation; able to represent the organization in a professional manner in public and in meetings.
- Ability to bridge the cultural divide between representatives of European and/or American donor agencies and the Cambodian organization.
- Knowledge of the grant-writing process
- A flair for producing documents for donors, the media, stakeholders and the general public, including experience with the basics of graphic design, careful attention to detail, quality reports, press releases