The Non-GMO Project seeks an experienced Director of Marketing and Communications to help advance the organization's mission of protecting and building a non-GMO food supply. The Director of Marketing and Communications must be a seasoned and innovative marketing professional who has developed and delivered brand strategies and is ready to drive measurable impact through strategic partnerships with our stakeholders. They must also have an entrepreneurial spirit that has led to demonstrated success in B2B and B2C marketing efforts and the creation of engaging revenue generating programs.
The Director of Marketing and Communications must be familiar with traditional forms of marketing and communications, yet also be highly conversant in digital marketing and program development. Reporting to the Executive Director and working alongside the Executive Team, the Director of Marketing and Communications oversees a team of three managers and staff, and a number of external consultants in PR, branding, SEO and SEM, and graphic design.
The ideal candidate has demonstrated experience leading and coaching a diverse team in a fast-paced, dynamic and sometimes ambiguous environment. You love inspiring and coaching your team to be creative, results-driven, and forward thinking in their approach. You are a natural storyteller and understand how to integrate mission-driven marketing with business intelligence to inspire consumers, retailers, and manufacturing brands. From written communications to public speaking, you are energized by the opportunity to help others understand the importance of GMO transparency.
- Lead the Marketing, Communications, and Outreach teams with a focus on the professional growth of team members, the well-being of the community, and the support and achievement of organizational priorities
- Lead the development and implementation of the organization’s brand strategy, strategic partnerships, and consumer education programs in support of the organization’s mission
- Represent the Non-GMO Project, our mission and our programs through regular public speaking, written outreach, and conversation at key industry and consumer events
- Oversee an annual budget for the department, including setting, tracking, and achieving annual revenue targets
- Direct the team’s work in creating engaging, well-written, and technically accurate content for all marketing platforms, including social media, print materials, electronic newsletter, and websites
- Develop and oversee the delivery of programming that supports consumer, manufacturing brand, and retailer engagement
- Collaborate with senior leaders in other organizations to develop strategic partnerships that help advance GMO transparency in the marketplace
- Engage in strategic planning with the organization and develop an annual plan for the team that supports organization-wide key initiatives
- Engage and collaborate as a member of the organization’s Executive Team, and as a leader / coach for the organization
- Facilitate collaboration across all departments of the organization to ensure that all marketing programs are developed and run in alignment with operations, finance, and the Non-GMO Project Standard
- Lead the development and execution of the organization’s event presence for key exhibitions
- Minimum 10 years professional experience in a related and mission-driven industry
- Experience in designing, developing and implementing brand strategies for values-based organizations
- Proven team leadership experience, management experience required
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills; strong editing skills given preference
- Excellent public speaking, presentation, and organizational skills
- Proven ability to successfully engage and influence senior-level stakeholders, from a wide range of food manufacturing brands, retailers, consumer advocacy groups
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and think creatively, combined with a willingness to
- take direction and be a team player
- Working knowledge of the organic and natural products industry, including familiarity with major brands and organizations
- Demonstrated commitment to integrity, discretion, trustworthiness, and reliability
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with Dropbox, Google Drive, and other organizational technology
- Experience with Meltwater and/or other media tracking tools
- Experience with social media tools such as Facebook and Twitter in a professional capacity
- Must be able to work on site in Bellingham, WA
Health, vision, dental, paid holidays, paid sick days and vacation, maternity and paternity leave
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include the title of the position you wish to apply for in the subject line.