Details: Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the candidate’s relevant professional experience. The Community Voters Project offers a competitive benefits package.
The Community Voters Project is seeking Canvass Directors to manage our site-based non-partisan voter registration campaigns in communities of color across the country in 2018.
Community Voters Project
The non-partisan Community Voters Project is a project of Fair Share Education Fund with a goal of increasing voter registration and participation rates in communities of color. We help to increase civic engagement among underserved and underrepresented communities, focusing primarily on African Americans and Latinos through non-partisan voter registration.
In coordination with our allies, we use a site-based canvassing model to identify and help register new voters, with a goal of achieving a measurable increase in African American and Latino voter participation. We run civic engagement offices. We hire and train teams of hard-working directors, field managers and canvassers who go out into communities and help people register to vote. We are building on more than three decades of experience, during which The Community Voters Project and its affiliated organizations helped to register over three million voters. In 2015-2016 alone, we helped register 215,000 voters in PA, NC, FL, GA, CO and AZ.
In the 2017-2018 cycle, we plan to help 200,000 African American and Latino people register to vote in as many as 7 states through on-the-ground, site-based programs designed to reach as many unregistered potential voters as possible.
Job Description and Responsibilities
The Community Voters Project Canvass Director is bottom-line responsible for our program in a particular city or area, and exercises independent judgment and discretion to:
● Recruit a team of committed canvasser activists: To register hundreds of voters, you need a team of committed canvasser activists. As a Director for one of our offices, you will recruit dozens of people to register voters in busy public places. You will design a recruitment strategy, write and place ads, and interview and hire top candidates.
● Manage & train your team of canvassers, field managers, and directors: You will train your team in the best practices for registering voters. Each day, you will hold training sessions in the office, and each week you will get out in the field, yourself, where you will register voters and train your staff hands-on.
● Manage operations: You will manage all of the operations behind the scenes. You will be responsible for tracking and submitting voter registration forms in accordance with applicable law. You will be responsible for running payroll, reimbursing office expenses, and all of the other logistics that go into running a big operation.
● And other duties as assigned
The Community Voters Project Canvass Director reports directly to the Community Voters Project Regional Director and is also accountable to the Field Director of the Community Voters Project and to the Public Interest Network’s leadership.
We are looking for candidates with all levels of experience. We will provide you with classroom and ongoing training so you will know everything to do the job, from how to run a staff recruitment campaign, to how to manage and develop leaders in your office, to how to manage and execute a successful voter registration drive.
We are looking for people who are ready for a major challenge. You should be ready to:
● Go where the fight is. We are looking for people who are flexible geographically and ready to move to work in one of our voter registration offices.
● Work hard and work long. You will work 70+ hours a week and 7 days a week.
Successful candidates will also bring all or most of the following skills and attributes to the position:
● Excellent verbal and written communications skills;
● Strong leadership and interpersonal abilities;
● Demonstrated recruiting skills;
● Proven problem-solving and organizational skills;
● Team orientation and focus on results; and
● Outstanding work ethic and an entrepreneurial mindset.
Compensation & Benefits: Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the candidate’s relevant professional experience. The Community Voters Project offers a competitive benefits package.
Location: Pittsburgh, PA; Philadelphia, PA; Raleigh, NC; Charlotte, NC; Fayetteville, NC; Atlanta, GA; Miami, FL; St. Petersburg, FL; Jacksonville, FL; Ft. Lauderdale, FL; Denver, CO; and Colorado Springs, CO
Application: Please apply online: https://workforprogress.org/job-board/entry/125/
The Community Voters Project is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, handicap, pregnancy, or veteran status.
Minimum Education Required