1129 20th Street NW
The Landscape Architecture Foundation (LAF) seeks a highly-organized, results-oriented Development Associate to join our growing, dynamic, and collaborative team. Candidates must be technically savvy, a strong writer with excellent interpersonal skills, and have experience in a fundraising, sales, or related work at a nonprofit organization. The ideal candidate will also have an understanding of the power of design to create a healthier, more equitable, and sustainable world.
The Development Associate works closely with the Development Manager and Chief Executive Officer to leverage the power of data and relationship management to grow the resources necessary for LAF to achieve its mission and deliver its programs. This position offers a unique opportunity to learn and grow with the organization, demonstrate leadership skills, and to help implement a comprehensive development program. The full-time, 40 hour/week position is located in Washington, DC and requires occasional travel within the U.S.
LAF is a national, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that invests in research, scholarships, and leadership initiatives to increase the influence and impact of landscape architects to create a more sustainable and equitable future. The influence and prominence of the 50-year-old organization has grown substantially in recent years, and the Development Associate joins a passionate and forward-thinking team that is engaged with the leaders and next practices of the landscape architecture discipline.
LAF has ambitious plans for growth and this individual will play a key role in securing the resources necessary for LAF to meet the urgent demands its mission and programs. This position reports to the Development Manager and supports a variety of development projects.
The Development Associate will support the development efforts of the CEO and the Board of Directors by helping to develop, write, and edit effective materials and messages tailored to LAF’s key donor audiences, which include landscape architecture practitioners, academics, and students. This role will work closely with LAF’s programs and communications staff to increase donor outreach and stewardship activities.
As staff in a small organization, the Development Associate also serves on an integrated team providing input and support to LAF’s programs, events, outreach and partnership initiatives, as well as operations and strategic planning.
Primary responsibilities are to include but are not limited to:
- Work closely with Development Manager and CEO to ensure annual development targets are achieved
- Support the CEO in her development role by preparing her for meetings and gift requests with appropriate follow-up
- Work with the Development Manager to support the fundraising responsibilities of the Board of Directors
- Maintain LAF’s donor and contact database, including effectively managing and tracking donor cultivation activities, tracking gifts, and generating reports
- Identify and qualify new prospects and outreach opportunities
- Support activities related to LAF’s Annual Benefit including coordination with event sponsors, managing online registration, and supporting other pre-event and day-of activities
- Assist with annual direct mail campaigns including letter writing, analysis, and target market segmentation
- Effectively promote and represent LAF in all activities, inspiring support from a variety of donors, and practicing a strong sense of fundraising ethics and respect for confidentiality of donor information and resources
- Bachelor’s Degree
- An equivalent of 1-2 years of experience in a fundraising or administrative role; preferably with a background in sales, marketing, nonprofit management or business development
- Superior organizational skills, exceptional attention to detail, and ability to complete tasks in a systematic manner
- Strong computer and database skills, including demonstrated proficiency with MS Office Suite, including familiarity with mail merge functionality and an exceptionally strong proficiency in Excel
- Flexibility and the ability to prioritize assignments and meet deadlines as a team player in a high-pressure, innovative, and collaborative environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, especially strong, concise, and accurate writing and editing skills
- Experience with customer relationship management platforms (e.g. Salesforce), email marketing platforms (e.g. Constant Contact), and event registration platforms (e.g. Eventbrite)
- Ability to thrive in a small, fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- High initiative and self-motivation, with consistent demonstration as a successful, high-level performer
- Love of data and analytics
Starting salary range is $50,000 - $55,000, commensurate with experience. LAF offers opportunities for growth based on employee performance. LAF provides a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, vacation/sick pay, and an employer-matching 401(k) program. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit letter of interest, resume, and three references to email@example.com with the subject line “Development Associate position.” Please indicate how you found this opportunity. No phone calls please.