2018-2019 (Middle School) High School Placement Counselor
- Job posted by Growing Up Green Charter School
36-49 11th Street
Mission Statement: The Growing Up Green Middle School empowers students to be conscious, contributing members of their community through a rigorous curriculum and an engaging green culture. Graduates of GUGMS will be prepared to attend top performing high schools where their interdisciplinary academic foundation, knowledge of sustainability, and strong sense of self sets them apart as leaders of the future.
Job Description: The High School Placement Counselor promotes and enhances the overall school mission by providing services to our student population to ensure that children are physically, emotionally, and socially prepared to learn. The High School Placement Counselor significantly contributes to the development of a supportive and caring environment by expanding the understanding of the emotional and social development of children and the influences of family, community, and cultural differences on student successes. The High School Placement Coordinator is a key component to ensuring that each of our students’ navigate the High School application process seamlessly and selects High Schools that are well suited to their needs. This counselor is instrumental in ensuring that our student body is knowledgeable about the High School application process and fully prepared to be successful at High Schools in the New York City area.
High School Process Responsibilities:
- Create and implement workshops for students and families on the High School Placement process.
- Serve as the point person at our Middle School location for overseeing the High School placement process.
- Assist students and families with the High School Placement process and with completing applications.
- Input all High School Applications into SEMS and help families with application submission.
- Regularly outreach to families regarding High School options and answer questions related to the process.
- Research and connect with High Schools in the New York City area.
- Take students on tours of prospective High Schools.
- Work closely with the School Leaders to establish partnerships with local agencies that provide support for students and families seeking to attend high performing High Schools.
Counseling and School Culture Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Director, School Leaders and Counseling Team.
- Implement and enhance the school’s systems and unique culture.
- Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues.
- Work collaboratively and effectively with teachers to better understand and support the needs of challenging students.
- Advocate for students’ social, emotional, and academic needs in the school setting and community.
- Serve as a liaison between families and local social service agencies, as needed.
- Refer families and students to outside community agencies, as needed.
- Use student, family, and school assessments to effectively and appropriately identify emotional needs that impact student learning and develop effective intervention strategies.
- Provide crisis intervention and behavior management strategies to expedite students’ progress in the school environment.
- Assess barriers to learning for individual students in the classroom setting through classroom observations and help tailor behavior intervention plans to better support the diverse needs of children.
- Develop evidence-based practice short- and long-term treatment plans consistent with school curriculum and culture; students' needs, strengths, diversity and life experiences; and social and emotional factors.
- Develop and implement school wide character education campaigns and assist in developing Advisory lessons around social and emotional topics.
- Provide individual and group counseling to students who are mandated for services through through the Committee on Special Education or children identified as at risk for services.
- Maintain up to date records of all school related actions and direct services provided.
- Assist in training staff about child abuse and neglect and oversee reporting process to The Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment.
- Work closely with the Dean of Students in enforcing behavioral expectations within our student body and provide preventive educational services to students and staff to limit behavior concerns within the school setting.
- Develop and implement behavior management strategies to expedite students’ progress in the classroom environment.
- Work with individuals and small groups of students who have difficulty in meeting the behavioral requirements of the school.
- Master’s degree in social work or school counseling from accredited school.
- Must possess current New York State license and school certification or be eligible to apply.
- Previous experience working in schools preferred.
- Previous experience working with adolescents required.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Knowledge of child development and special education.
- Knowledge of the New York City High School Application Process preferred.
- Excellent collaborative skills and organization skills.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Growing Up Green is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage and value a diverse workforce, and we seek diversity among applicants for this position.
Please submit resume and cover letter via email to Growing Up Green I Director of Counseling, Kristen Lengyel, at email@example.com.
Fax: (347) 642-4310 attn: Kristen Lengyel, Director of Counseling