101 New Montgomery Street
Position Summary: The Staff Accountant II – Payroll is responsible for payroll processing, preparing related journal entries, reconciling general ledger accounts and preparation of related schedules. Serves as a liaison with Human Resources and ensures adherence to payroll related labor laws. Acts as primary liaison for time reporting and payroll related issues both internally and externally for the organization.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance and 2-5 years of payroll experience. The candidate should also be proficient in excel and accounting software packages. This role requires someone who has superb communication and analytical skills. This is a great opportunity for someone who is looking to work within a fast-paced, professional, yet business casual environment and is capable of managing a dynamic workload while paying attention to detail.
- Coordinate and process payroll activities for 325+ employees in 35+ office locations nationwide. Ensure adherence to TPL Human Resource policies, and to state and federal labor and tax laws.
- Prepare and transmit semi-monthly payroll files to outside payroll service. Reconcile payroll as received from provider to time and attendance system. Prepare monthly payroll journal entries and schedules. Process and remit garnishments. Verify semi-monthly, monthly, and quarterly payroll taxes filed by payroll provider, as well as annual W-2’s.
- Research and resolve payroll and related tax issues.
- Liaison with Human Resources department, regional offices, and individual TPL employees regarding payroll-related issues. Provide wage and tax information requested by municipal, state, and federal agencies. Complete wage information section of Employee Verification of Employment forms as needed.
- Coordinate processing of human resources and payroll related data including, but not limited to, new hires, terminations, leaves of absence, wage changes, transfers, and other changes.
- Collect and verify approval of all time sheets.
- Monitor and reconcile labors suspense and payroll liability accounts on a monthly basis.
- Process payroll coding corrections submitted by finance staff and resulting from labor suspense and time and attendance reconciliations.Responsible for distribution of semi-monthly pay checks and vouchers.
- Work with payroll service bureau as needed on employee tax, workers comp, and related issues.
- Review workers comp audit schedule and act as primary interface with worker’s comp auditor.
- Update and maintain Employee Time Off reports for vacation, sick, and other accrued time off. Verify employee adherence to TPL policies regarding use of accrued time off. Answer employee inquiries regarding same.
- Provide employee support for time and attendance system questions and updates and coordinate maintenance with Controller and Business Information staff.
- Collaborate with the Controller to maintain procedure documentation.
- Process payroll job cost corrections submitted by finance staff and resulting from labor suspense and time and attendance reconciliations.
- Assist with other projects as assigned by the Controller, including providing 990 information, support for the annual audit, and other duties.
- Bachelors Degree in Business (Accounting or Finance preferred) or equivalent work experience.
- Requires a minimum of 2 years of related experience in accounting and/or finance – payroll experience required.
- Demonstrated proficiency with spreadsheet, word processing, and accounting applications. (MS Office, Word, Excel and Lawson). Experience with payroll and HRIS software required.
- Attention to detail, diligence and commitment to excellence; requires a high degree of dependability, consistency, and initiative.
- Demonstrated understanding of confidentiality issues as related to payroll.
- Requires excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Non-profit experience is preferred.
This position reports to the Assistant Controller in the National Finance team at TPL’s headquarters in San Francisco’s Financial District.
Community service day
Flexible work schedules (flextime, compressed workweek, telecommuting)
Retirement plan with match
Health, vision, and dental insurance
Flexible spending accounts
Employee assistance program
Life insurance and AD&D
Short and long-term disability
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply via our website's quick application.