Do you want to work for a mission-driven organization dedicated to ensuring that all young people in Boston can realize their full potential? Would you like to learn about youth development from Boston’s top leadership? Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston seeks a committed professional to assist our President & CEO and Executive Vice President, Development & Marketing in all administrative functions and with special projects. This is a tremendous opportunity for someone with entry-level experience to learn the ins and outs of youth development and non-profit administration in a dynamic, established, and growing organization. You will gain the skills needed to launch a career while improving the lives of Boston’s young people.
Responsible for the oversight of the administrative activities of the President & CEO’s office including, but not limited to, management of administrative functions, special projects and calendar coordination; assistance with Board activities and communications. Provide administrative support for the Executive Vice President, Development & Marketing. Manages day-to-day Main Office front desk and office operations. Performs receptionist duties by answering telephone, greeting visitors, taking and delivering messages and maintaining office appearance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Administrative Responsibilities for President & CEO
- Administrative management of the day-to-day activities of the office of the Nicholas President & CEO, including scheduling appointments and managing calendar and appointments, travel arrangements, internal and external communications from the President & CEO, maintenance and use of confidential files and information.
- Assist in managing Board relations, including preparation and logistics for Board of Director Meetings and select Board committee meetings. Provide follow-up by telephone and in writing as necessary. Prepare reports, gather and present statistical information, prepare informational packages, coordinate meetings and follow-up as necessary. Create and distribute annual Board of Directors Manual with Directors, Senior Advisory Board Members, Trustees and Trustee Emeriti contact information and the Board committee calendar.
- Maintain electronic distribution lists for Board members.
- With Development Team, coordinate President & CEO’s donor visits and follow-up steps. Record meetings and pertinent information in Raiser’s Edge (RE)
- Plan, direct and execute special projects on behalf of the President & CEO as required.
- Prepare written communication on behalf of the President & CEO, such as letters, announcements, meeting notes, follow-up communication, organizational emails, etc.
- Represent the President & CEO and BGCB with Board, Volunteers, donors, etc. in support of the activities of the office, as directed.
- Assist in the preparation, revision and maintenance of the President’s expense budget, as directed.
Administrative responsibilities for Executive Vice President, Development & Marketing
- Assist Executive Vice President, Development & Marketing with scheduling, preparation of materials for Board presentations and other special presentations, preparation of agendas for Development Team meetings, management of Development expense budget, prepare materials for donor proposals and committee meetings.
- Assist in the planning and execution of special events, such as Development events, staff events and other special events for the President & CEO and Executive Vice President, Development & Marketing.
- Support Executive Vice President, Development in tracking donor information and appointments in Raiser’s Edge database.
- Plan, direct and execute special projects on behalf of the Executive Vice President, Development & Marketing as required.
- Assist with setting and maintaining calendar and appointments, maintenance and use of confidential files and information.
Administrative/Front Desk Area
- Assist Executive Vice Presidents of Operations and Finance with scheduling, preparation of materials for committee meetings, presentation materials and other administrative duties as needed.
- Supervise and coordinate front desk coverage schedules.
- Work from front desk to provide phone coverage and administrative support as needed.
- Manage internal and external package delivery, schedule conference rooms, and assist with conference call set up.
- Maintain and troubleshoot postage meter, copiers, and printers.
- Maintain Committee data for CFO and EVP Operations in Raiser’s Edge database.
- Act as main point of contact for all Club-Main Office communications, as needed.
- Inform Accounting and Procurement coordinator of office and kitchen supplies as is needed
- Coordination of the donation letter signing and finance approvals for President & CEO and Executive Vice President, Development.
- Manage the general BGCB email info account and distribute or respond to messages as appropriate.
General BGCB Expectations:
- Healthy Behavior Modeling – Teaching youth/teens the importance of living an active, healthy lifestyle is a BGCB priority. As a result, all staff is expected to model healthy behavior while working with our members.
- Inclusive Environment – BGCB values creating child-friendly environments, where youth/teens of all abilities can be successful and participate. BGCB expects employees to embrace its focus on inclusion of all members, regardless of disability or developmental challenge.
- Continuous Learning – Building the capacity of staff is central to BGCB. The organization encourages and requires that all staff participates in annual professional development opportunities that continue to cultivate their skills in the youth development field.
- Safe Spaces – Every staff member shares the responsibility for ensuring BGCB is, and remains, an environment free of sexual, physical, or emotional abuse.
Position Requirements (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Work Demands)
- Minimum 2 years experience as an Executive Assistant working with senior management, Board members, corporate executives and other visitors, funders, vendors, consultants who may have business with the office of the President & CEO.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks/projects simultaneously; ability to adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong reasoning skills including the ability to solve practical day-to-day problems and use good judgment in dealing with multiple variables; ability to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral or table format.
- Strong communications and language skills with the ability to read, analyze and interpret general business articles, policies and procedures, agency reports; ability to write reports, correspondence, policies and procedures (writing sample will be required).
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to interact and communicate with a wide variety of audiences, including Board volunteers, corporate community, staff, vendors, etc. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from a wide variety of audiences.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required.
- Excellent organizational, research, planning, implementation skills and follow-through skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and problem solving skills.
- MS Office proficiency and web competency required; proficiency in Raisers Edge; desktop publishing software experience
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and as part of a team.