Storytelling is a powerful tool that gives people an opportunity to view communities and issues from a different perspective. It’s a critical component of community organizing that’s at the foundation of every progressive social movement. Students for Education Reform (SFER) is seeking a Communications Director with the skills and vision to raise awareness and communicate urgency around the challenging political issue of achieving educational justice for students in communities that have historically been underserved and the target of discriminatory education policies.
Students for Education Reform (SFER) develops college students into grassroots organizers who fight for educational justice in their communities. SFER is a student movement that champions educational equity for all children, regardless of race or background.
WHY WORK FOR SFER?
While the work is hard, we approach it with the audacity of believing that students have the power to change the education system and the humility to know that thousands have come before us in this fight. We work with urgency, passion, and — most importantly — a lot of joy. We are looking for talented, passionate individuals to join our team and work with us to continue the fight for educational equality.
This position is a fantastic opportunity for an entrepreneurial individual who’s passionate about supporting a small, scrappy nonprofit in building a dynamic national student-centered brand that 1) influences public officials to make decisions that put student needs above all else, 2) builds public demand for better public schools in our neighborhoods, and 3) recruits students and resources to deepen the impact we have in the six cities we work in: Bay Area, California; Boston, Massachusetts; Charlotte, North Carolina; Denver, Colorado; Los Angeles, CA; and Minneapolis & St. Paul, Minnesota.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop local and national communications strategy, including media relations and digital media, to support local and organization-wide policy and political goals
- Oversee all traditional media, social media, online marketing, content production, and design needs at the local and national level
- Oversee and develop the communications team, along with media consultants and advisors, to meet local and national communications goals
- Build bold local and national media actions that garner earned press.
- Build and maintain relationships with reporters and organizational partners to build powerful brand partnerships and secure media placements that position our students and staff as thought leaders in education, social impact, and student activism
- Serve as an external spokesperson for the organization by attending and speaking at major events and conferences, in addition to responding to ongoing media requests
- Provide executive-level coaching to local state leads and key national staff on media relations, public speaking, and crisis communications
- Support with the development and implementation of mission critical organization-wide projects that build brand awareness, i.e. annual reports, board materials, etc.
- Bachelor's degree required
- 5+ years in communications, advertising, marketing or design; experience working with a progressive social justice non-profit, creative agency, or advertising firm, a plus
- Experience managing and developing full-time employees and/or consultants a must
- Strong understanding of basic advertising, marketing principles, and journalism
- Strong, punchy writing skills for an activist audience: excellent spelling, grammar, proofreading, and ability to tailor writing to multiple stakeholders
- Experience building or supporting the development and activation of online communities through social media management, online advertising, or digital marketing
- Solid understanding of web technologies and best practices in digital marketing and/or online organizing
- Demonstrated ability to build media contacts to land coverage for an issue, cause, individual or organization.
- Deep knowledge of policy, politics, and advocacy — and the role that communications plays in social movements and campaigns. Experience crafting communications in an electoral campaign setting a plus but not required.
- Ability to coordinate among numerous geographic regions and media markets. Strong collaborative leadership skills required.
- Ability to manage communications and relationships at all levels of an organization including, membership, peers, management team, and board.
- Experience developing email campaigns that drive action on Mailchimp, Nationbuilder or similar CRM preferred
- Knowledge and/or demonstrated experience working in or with clients related to education, issue or electoral campaigns, or progressive social causes a plus
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Suite; experience with Adobe Creative Suite and InDesign a plus
- Growth. We give and get a high volume of feedback and work relentlessly to improve.
- Voice. We exist to empower our members and create a powerful voice for students in the policy sphere.
- Tenacity. We set big goals, persist in the face of challenges, and commit to excellence.
- Audacity & Humility. We are willing to take risks, think big, and work hard to bring about transformational change, even while acting and listening with humility, respect, and empathy.
- Dignity. We commit to social justice work because we believe in the fundamental value of every child and person.
- Collaborative Leadership. Empowering others is the hallmark of transformational leadership. We emphasize both personal growth and shared responsibility while investing in our greatest resource: our people.
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. A comprehensive benefits package is included.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Students for Education Reform encourages individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and recruiting a team that reflects our student movement.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY
Email email@example.com with a resume, cover letter, and portfolio explaining where you found the job listing and why you are an ideal candidate for this position. Please indicate in your letter where you learned of the position. A limited number of candidates will be scheduled for phone interviews.