908 Wahler Place, SE
What You Will Do
The Case Manager facilitates the processes related to special education at the campus level ensuring excellence in compliance. The Case Manager, in collaboration with the Scholar Support Coordinator (SSC), advises the special education team at the school to ensure that the needs of all Star Scholars (scholars with IEPs) are being met and that services are aligned and in compliance with scholars’ Individualized Education Programs (IEPs).
Reporting to the Director of Scholar Support, you will:
- Meet weekly with the Scholar Support Coordinator to align and plan for Star Scholars and the scholar support team
- Manage the Special Education Database System (SEDS) and supporting documentation associated across grade levels associated with up to 80 scholars with disabilities
- Work with operations and enrollment staff to ensure new Star Scholar IEPs, evaluations, and progress reports are collected and reviewed in a timely fashion, including holding meetings for scholars with IEPs as outlined in the transfer/enrollment policy
- Ensure that the eligibility process is timely, thorough and clearly communicated to families and staff per Achievement Preps Special Education Policy and Procedural Manual
- Schedule testing and coordinate with families, teachers, related service providers, administrators and evaluators
- Provide families with documentation related to special education processes in SEDs (draft IEPs, draft evaluation reports, draft eligibility determination report) at least five (5) days prior to evaluation team meetings for family review
- Adhere to compliance timelines outlined in Achievement Prep’s Special Education Policy and Procedural Manual and in accordance with all federal and state regulations with 100% accuracy
- Draft and finalize all SEDs documentation efficiently and accurately, including, but not limited to, Prior Written Notices (PWN), meeting notes and family communication within five (5) days after meeting is held
- Ensure all testing accommodations and modifications for Star Scholars are accurately documented and implemented for all internal and external assessments
Provide information to the Director of Scholar Support for the implementation of mediation, dispute resolution sessions, and due process procedures in accordance with legal guidelines
- Train scholar support staff in the use of all special education systems (e.g. EasyIEP)
- Maintain confidential, accurate, and up-to-date scholar records consistent with federal and District law and Achievement Prep requirements
- Inform, engage, and support families through the special education process
- Oversee the drafting and implementation of IEP goals, accommodations/modifications, and service hours by related service providers for scholars who newly qualify for special education services or who continue to be eligible at their annual or triennial review, in accordance with team decisions and Achievement Prep standards
- Review and revise IEPs from incoming scholars’ prior schools
- Coordinate and execute all aspects of the annual IEP or triennial evaluation process according to state and federal deadlines
- Coordinate with general education and scholar support teachers to ensure that IEP quarterly progress reports are completed and provided to families in the most accessible format
- Work with the Scholar Support Coordinator to research, plan, and coordinate training (and coach teachers directly) regarding meeting the needs of scholars with IEPs
- Coordinate the scheduling of transportation with DC Department of Transportation for all scholars with IEPs
- Coordinate with OSSE, if found to be necessary, to place scholars in more appropriate educational settings
- Manage the transition process (if middle school) to work with eligible scholars, families, and staff to design a transition plan that describes the instruction and related services objectives to support scholar success beyond Achievement Prep
- Serve as owner and facilitator of all aspects of the 504 eligibility and review process
- Manage legal documents and files related to 504 plans
- Create 504 plans for scholars with disabilities who qualify
- Coordinate the successful implementation of 504 planning process
- Work with the Scholar Support Coordinator to research, plan, and coordinate training (and coach teachers directly) regarding meeting the needs of scholars with 504s
- Manage time, tasks, deadlines and responsibilities in a fast-paced environment
- Engage in additional school-wide responsibilities, such as lunch/recess duty, hallway posts, events committees, etc.
- Receive continuous feedback from peers and school leaders on your practice and be expected to give the same
- Embody our core values of Determination, Respect, Enthusiasm, Accountability, andMastery
- Exhibit an unwavering commitment to high academic achievement and character development in our scholars
- Attend and support monthly Family Nights/events that invite families into the building
- Other duties as required to fulfill our mission in the lives of our scholars
You Must Have
- Bachelor’s degree
- Certification, degree, or licensure in special education
- 2+ years of teaching special education in an urban setting to children in historically underserved communities
- 1+ years of case management experience
It Would Be Nice for You to Have
- Master’s degree in special education
Who You Are
You know and understand the power of education and have seen, first hand, that power manifested either in your life or in the lives of others. You are committed to serving historically underserved communities knowing that your work is part of a larger ecosystem committed to change. You believe in a quality public education for all and are determined to serve every child that comes your way. You are unapologetically mission driven and will do whatever it takes to advance the work and ensure scholar achievement. You are excited about not just the work, but doing the work at Achievement Prep. You are familiar with our community and are not afraid of or by all the beauty and challenges that come with living in impoverished communities. You value and respect everyone and demonstrate that respect in words and actions.
You know while there are no excuses in this work, the scholars we serve require a support team who will differentiate for all yet keep excellence the bar that is maintained at all times. You understand your effectiveness and performance is directly tied to the success and growth of the caseload you manage. You believe in our families and know it is your job to ensure they are fully educated and informed about their rights and the rights of their scholar. You respect timelines and know that meeting the same are not optional or to be taken for granted. You are open to feedback, eager to grow, and bring your best to everything you do. You know the work isn’t easy and don’t expect for it to be. The grind of our mission ignites you. You are not only capable of performing but thrive in circumstances involving ambiguity and nuance. You look for or create the joy in your day-to-day and want to work with others who do, too.
What We Value
- 100% Scholars: You prioritize what’s best for scholars first.
- Results Without Excuses: You set, track and achieve ambitious goals; and you own the mistakes.
- Sweat the Small Stuff: You pay attention to the smallest details to ensure smooth, predictable, and effective outcomes.
- Community Matters – Mightily: You show care and respect for others – even when the work is taxing.
- Unapologetically Mission-Driven: You have a “whatever it takes” mentality in achieving the mission.
- Many Minds, One Mission: You value and partner with parents and the community for the good of scholars.
What You Get
- Ongoing weekly or bi-weekly coaching and development from direct supervisor
- Regular internal professional development tailored to the requirements of the position and staff needs
- Opportunities to participate in external professional development that increases effectiveness in the role
- Compensation & Benefits:
- Achievement Prep offers highly competitive compensation and compensation
- Medical, vision, dental benefits
- Flexible spending accounts for transit, dependent care, and medical expenses
- 401k with automatic immediate employer matching up to 4%
- It Pays to Stay:
- Upon completion of 2 full school years of service, employees become eligible for annual loyalty incentives
- Gifts and Achievement Prep swag
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, visit our website: https://achievementprep.tedk12.com/hire/ViewJob.aspx?JobID=270