Term of Employment: Full-Time, Non-Exempt, At-Will
Reports to: Direct Marketing Manager
Location: Cotati, CA
Position Objectives: The Development Administrative Assistant is responsible for supporting the Development Department in day-to-day operations including, clerical and donor customer service, to reach the goals of the Animal Legal Defense Fund’s fundraising program.
- Create and maintain donor records in the donor database, including ongoing updates to donor and prospect constituent records, entering financial gift information and logging donor calls and comments.
- Process weekly Acknowledgement files and produce related letters.
- Comply with all State Charity Registrations and renewals by working with vendors to maintain good standing as required by each state’s guidelines.
- Adhere to Combined Federal Campaign calendar of events, working with the Director of Development, Donation Processing Manager and vendors to submit required paperwork for yearly workplace giving campaign and related bi-yearly donor correspondence.
- Provide general assistance to the development department including booking travel arrangements, maintaining schedules, correspondence, faxing, copying, filing, replenishing supplies to team members as needed, etc.
- Code vendor invoices for Development department.
- Provide back up support to the Operations team as needed.
- Others duties as assigned
- Produce and process written materials related to donor cultivation and stewardship such as donor profiles, stewardship reports, letters to donors, and tax receipts.
- Take and log phone calls from donors or potential donors, providing courteous support in processing issues such as questions or complaints, to maintain positive donor relations.
- Respond to membership requests for information through email and phone interaction, in a professional and courteous manner.
- Produce special acknowledgements such as honorary donations and gift memberships.
- Review and approve files for low dollar acknowledgements.
- Assist with Development projects as assigned, such as assisting with the details for promotional or donor events, creating information tables, assisting with online charity events, coordinating benefit dinners, etc.
- Contribute to the fundraising efforts of ALDF in various tasks as assigned.
- Handle estate administrative tasks including working with attorneys handling estate matters through to distribution, and creating/maintaining related files in an organized manner.
- Track all donations given and anticipated through estates, as well all estate notifications and next steps needed for each open estate.
- Work closely with and support ALDF In-House Counsel on weekly reporting and tracking next steps for all open estates.
- Act as first point of contact to field and support planned giving information requests and provide initial materials.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in similar administrative positions, preferably at a non-profit or in the field of fundraising/development, customer relations, marketing or communications.
- Possess a high degree of computer literacy as well as working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, and an understanding of data management, preferably using donor database software (previous use of ROI database software a plus).
- Attention to detail, organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities inherent to a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to maintain and build relationships with a broad range of constituents with varying cultural, political and social backgrounds including potential donors, funders and sponsors.
- Must demonstrate interest and experience with animal protection issues and be committed to the mission of the Animal Legal Defense Fund.
- Must have a friendly and professional demeanor and speaking voice with strong phone etiquette.
- Must possess a positive attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, effective communication and the ability to work cooperatively with others in a team-oriented work environment.
- Willingness to work occasional nights and weekends when necessary during high volume periods, and may require some travel.
- Be able to produce excellent references relevant to similar positions held.
- Must agree to and pass a background check.
Competitive salary with excellent benefits package including 100% employer paid comprehensive health, dental, vision and life insurance plans. Optional Flexible Spending Account. Generous Paid Time Off, and 401k retirement plan with employer match. Casual work environment which includes companion animals.
Application Period: Applications from qualified candidates will be accepted until the position is filled. Please note: If you are a qualified candidate who applied previously, and are still interested, please apply again.
How to Apply: To apply, applicants should email a cover letter and resume (in PDF format only) to the attention of the Direct Marketing Manager. No phone calls please. Please include "Development Admin Assistant" in your email subject header.