1300 Spring Street
HIAS seeks a Communications Specialist to work closely with the communications team, program, and policy staff to publicize and promote HIAS and our work serving and advocating for refugees of all faiths and ethnicities across the globe. S/he serves as a key member of the Public Affairs team and is responsible for writing, editing, editorial content and marketing campaign development, public relations and press outreach. This position will be based in either Silver Spring, MD or New York, NY.
- Writes, edits and maintains editorial and marketing content related to HIAS news, achievements, field work and special events.
- Writes and edits blog posts, emails, newsletters, press releases, statements, and other material with input from Policy and Advocacy, Community Engagement, Development and Programs staff.
- Manages communications projects to support HIAS’ fundraising, marketing and advocacy campaigns.
- Works with internal resources and outside vendors to develop marketing and promotional collateral including graphics, advertising, brochures and posters.
- Assists with management of HIAS social media presence.
- Manages the development and implementation of traditional and digital media campaigns.
- Analyzes data and reports on marketing and advertising efforts.
- Promotes and maintains HIAS’ brand internally and externally.
- Participates in ongoing development of HIAS’ communications strategy, training of staff in communications best practices.
- Contribute to HIAS’ international communications.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in relevant field.
- 5-7 years of experience in communications, public relations, journalism, or media.
- Subject matter expertise in refugee and/or asylum issues preferred.
- Excellent writing, copy-editing and interpersonal communications skills.
- Experience in marketing and communications; experience creating blog content and email communications; experience managing social media.
- Experience working or volunteering with a Jewish organization preferred.
- Knowledge of AP STYLE; experience with Google Analytics and other analytical tools preferred.
- Experience with online advertising preferred.
- Ability to collaborate and also work independently.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and project management skills; ability to oversee outside vendor issues when necessary.
- Ability to multi-task and problem solve diverse issues.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a resume, cover letter and employment application through our website in order to be considered.
Please not that this role will either be based in Silver Spring, Maryland or New York, New York.