The General Manager of Gerlach Real Estate will be a team member of Burning Man Project’s (BMP) Real Estate department. They will oversee the development and operations of property to further the economic development and BMP real estate strategy in Northern Nevada.
Focusing on the development of a 360 acre parcel of land (the 360) located in Gerlach, NV, this role will plan for and manage the performance of daily tasks and logistics associated with on-site operations. They will ensure that master timelines, work schedules, and budgets are created and met and be responsible for contractor and vendor relations, cost assessment and control, and resource, personnel, and safety management. It is anticipated that the Real Estate Residential Manager, a new position, will also report to this position. The Real Estate Residential Manager will be responsible for the year-round non-event residential management of the Showers and Gerlach Estates Trailer Park.
The ideal candidate for this role would be able to relocate and live full-time in or close to Gerlach, NV. The presence in Gerlach, NV is not connected to the annual event, but in fact is critical year-round to promote non-event programs. They will have proven experience working on-site, managing construction teams and projects, and be equally skilled at working on the ground and at a desk. Previous real estate planning (entitlement and permitting), real estate development (creating, managing and executing a construction project on-time and on-budget), and asset management (year-round business operations of a property) experience preferred.
The deadline to apply for this role is 5:00pm Pacific on Friday, April 23, 2021.
DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Review and gain expert knowledge of asset plan, business plan, architectural drawings, permit status, infrastructure needs, budgets, and planned phases of development of the 360.
- Modify and/or create internal presentations and external presentations to explain the plans for the 360 to stakeholders and partners. Be the “face” of the 360.
- Become familiar with the orientation, specific characteristics, and current asset plans and budgets of other properties within the Green Tree (GT) portfolio (the “Land Trust Properties”) including: Desert Club Hotel, Black Rock RV Park (Showers), Gerlach Estates (Trailer Park), and others as needed.
- Review and become familiar with existing Gerlach Economic Development Plans created by the local community, as well as those created by the Economic Development Laboratory students in January 2021 on site in Gerlach, Nevada. Review and become familiar with and knowledgeable about rural economic development strategy based on provided reading materials.
- Co-organize and attend weekly team meetings.
- Review and drive project timeline; plan for and organize daily work accordingly, report progress in weekly team meetings.
- Meet weekly with the Sr. Director of Real Estate and internal GT and Real Estate team and, as needed, with project stakeholders and BMP’s communications, government relations, and Black Rock City operations teams.
- Develop and maintain information management systems. Evaluate current processes, identify efficiencies and, as needed, create new organizational structures.
- Work with the Sr. Director of Real Estate to maintain continuity in what and how work is documented and shared. Assume responsibility for and ensure that all documentation meets standards outlined by the Sr. Director of Real Estate.
Revenue Generation (25%)
- Meet year 1 revenue goals of the 360.
- With the Residential Manager, implement a reservation system for properties including the 360, Hotel, Showers, and Trailer Park.
- Coordinate with BMP’s Placement and DMV teams to ensure that the 360 will support container and mutant vehicle storage.
- Support the Sr. Real Estate Director in negotiating leases and term sheets with tenants of the 360.
- Manage comprehensive schedules and effectively assign tasks to the Residential Project Manager to ensure revenue goals for the Trailer Park and Showers properties are met.
- Work with the Senior Director of Real Estate and the Philanthropic Engagement team to identify granting opportunities to support inclusive growth in Gerlach, NV, including those that would support renewable energy, job creation, and infrastructure creation (power grid upgrades, broadband internet access)
- Meet regularly with Washoe County to discuss strategic priorities of the County to raise the standard of living, create job opportunities and improve health outcomes in Gerlach through County, State and Federal programs.
- Work with the Sr. Director of Real Estate to support other double-bottom line revenue goals.
Realizing BMP Mission (10%)
- Create a culture in Gerlach and within the GT and Real Estate team that brings the BMP mission into the world.
- Interact regularly with Gerlach residents (including attending Gerlach General Improvement District (GGID) and Citizen Advisory Board (CAB) meetings).
- Maintain behavior that supports a positive public presence.
- Strategize with the Sr. Director of Real Estate and GT and Real Estate team on how to support BMP’s Sustainability Roadmap in GT activities.
- Be a regular communicator about the purpose of Green Tree activities and BMP’s increased commitment to community activities and “anchor” in Northern Nevada.
- Be an advocate within the organization for the needs of the Gerlach, Empire, Hualapai, PLPT, and northern Nevada communities as it relates to BMP and GT activities.
Real Estate Development of the 360 (30%)
- Supervise and manage the permitting process with the GT and Real Estate team, outside consultants, and government relations.
- Verify and finalize the 360 construction budget
- Coordinate available funding and approve monthly construction budgets.
- Hire and schedule construction crews (paid and volunteer) to implement phase 1A, 1B, and 2 development of the 360.
- Work with appropriate BMP community members and staff to commission an art fence to enclose the 360 storage facilities.
- Lead the creation of initial year-round infrastructure on the 360.
- Coordinate with tenants of the 360 to ensure compliance with GT lease obligations.
Operations of the 360 (10%)
- Create operation plans for phase 1A, 1B and 2.
- Work with GT and Real Estate Managers to plan and coordinate construction activities, requirements, and people to ensure the quality, profitable, and timely completion of projects. Revise schedules on an ongoing basis as necessary.
- Hire and manage operational staff to deliver on-budget operations.
- Serve as a mentor, positive role model, and team leader directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job, instructing and sharing skills as necessary.
- Coordinate with other BMP departments and/or BMP-related community groups to consider additional programs on the 360 (these must pay for themselves, inclusive of all operations staff and management).
- Establish and oversee the maintenance of a clean and safe worksite; ensure that all team members are provided with the necessary OSHA approved safety equipment.
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- As needed, submit receipts and any expense reports, ensure forms are complete and submitted on time (within 30 days of transaction).
- Distribute any relevant information to GT and Real Estate team and crewmembers in a timely fashion.
- Be aware of the atmosphere within the team and crew; communicate any concerns regarding social climate and /or protocol to the Sr. Director of Real Estate.
- Monitor the well-being of staff, set manageable work expectations.
- Keep regular business hours and an online presence as outlined by the Sr. Director of Real Estate.
- Ensure communications are prompt and professional and that any needed discretion is maintained.
- Be familiar and act in accordance with Burning Man’s staff policies and Ranch Protocols.
- Meaningful progress on phase 1A, 1B, and 2 development of the 360 on time and on budget.
- Effective execution of the GT economic development and BMP real estate strategy.
- Successful and timely management of GT and Real Estate team’s obligations as a developer or development partner.
- Effective supervision of any staff that may be reporting to this position and execution of responsibilities listed above.
LEARNING AND TEACHING
- Documentation - Drives the creation, publishing, and maintenance of process documentation related to assigned duties.
- Teaching – Takes a leadership role in the acculturation and training of staff. Teaches live or e-learning classes, as requested. Promotes a culture of teaching and learning throughout the community.
- Mentoring - Mentors subordinates in acquiring the knowledge, skills, and experience that will allow them to advance in the organization. Aids, encourages, and inspires their team.
- Learning – Pursues ongoing learning in their area of expertise, working to stay current on emergent knowledge, skills, and processes. Participates in conferences, forums, and networking events, where appropriate.
- Speaking – Represents Burning Man as a subject matter expert and culture-bearer, as requested.
- At least 2 years experience in team management.
- Experience managing a 500k+ construction budget on time and on budget.
- Experience working with and inspiring a diverse team of volunteers, temporary staff, permanent staff and contractors.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills.
- Able to effectively prepare cost estimates, budgets, and work timetables.
- Proven success in developing and executing development strategies.
- Familiarity with construction operations and processes.
- Advanced knowledge of Google products (Sheets, Drive, Docs); ability to write formulas, develop and improve Google and Excel sheets, create presentation decks.
- Able to interpret and explain contracts and technical information.
- Effectively collaborates with architects, engineers, and other specialists.
- A motivated approach to work and an eye for detail.
- Effectively manages own time, the time of individual team members, and the efforts of the team as a whole; able to prioritize work assignments and adapt to changing priorities.
- Able to maintain high-quality work while meeting tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills; willingness to learn and proactively ask questions. Able to tailor communication to receiving party with appropriate professionalism.
- Leadership: Inspires, motivates and encourages a collaborative work environment.
- Experience managing volunteers with a willingness to promote their strengths and respect their limitations.
- Capable of working in an extreme environment including drastic temperature changes, high winds, and low to no visibility at times.
- Able to relocate and live full-time in or close to Gerlach, NV
- Familiarity with real estate development and permitting.
- Practiced in lease negotiation.
- Experience working in a Burning Man environment (event in Nevada or Regional event)
- Experience with: customer service and hospitality properties, mechanical shops, container and storage business, solar technology, art park curation.
- OSHA 10 Certification.
- Heavy equipment operations experience; knowledge of rigging and specialty load manipulation.
- Experienced and comfortable with using 2 way radios.
- Knowledge of rural America and northern Nevada
- Experience working in remote wilderness and/or desert environments.
- It is helpful if the candidate has previously worked with Burning Man (preferably with Department of Public Works (DPW) and/or has been part of a theme camp management team.
Note: If you have gained the necessary experience to succeed in this role and have acquired this experience in other ways, we encourage you to apply and share all relevant experience in your application.
- Must have a valid state-issued driver’s license and a good driving record.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
- This is a regular, full-time position, eligible for benefits, located in Gerlach, Nevada.
- Burning Man Project celebrates the importance of creating a diverse environment and enthusiastically encourages Black, Indigenous, Peoples of Color, LGBTQIA+, Immigrant, women, and people with disabilities, of all ages, to apply.
- Burning Man Project provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
- Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.