Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: Maintenance Worker
Department: Early Childhood Education
Reports to: Educational Center Director
Hours: 40 hrs/week
Under the supervision of the Facilities Director & Educational/Site Director, the Maintenance Worker performs a wide variety of custodial and maintenance duties in order to provide a clean, orderly, and safe facility in accordance with NYC DOH Article 47 standards as well as Head Start Performance Standards. It is the role of the Maintenance Worker to follow daily, weekly and monthly cleaning schedules including, but not limited to the classrooms, kitchen, office areas, bathrooms, storage areas, and entrances. The Maintenance Worker follows the cleaning schedule when the children are not in the center so not to interference with their care.
• Performs routine custodial duties in order to maintain clean and sanitary facilities.
• Follows and completes the center's daily, weekly and monthly cleaning schedule. These duties include:
o Collects and bags all garbage from the center, placing the tied bags in a closed dumpster. o Disinfects and cleans garbage and trashcans, and changes bags daily.
o Washes and disinfect bathrooms fixtures daily with germicidal solution.
o Using germicidal solution, wet mops all washable floors daily including kitchen, bathroom, office and classroom.
o Washes bathroom, kitchen, classroom and other windows (inside and outside) and walls using germicidal solution as scheduled or needed.
o Sweep, mop, and vacuum all floors.
o Buffing floors as needed.
o Clean and shampoo carpets as needed.
o Prepare bleach solutions daily for classroom use.
• Responsible for removing dust, spills, stains and other undesirable materials from tables, countertops, toilets, and other surfaces.
• Maintains clean and dust free air vents.
• Maintains clean and safe playground areas as well as perimeter of program.
• Sweeps and clears entrance spaces daily.
• Refills paper towel, tissue, toilet paper and hand soap in all dispensers.
• Reports the following to the Director, or designated staff person: o Presence of animals, vermin or insects. o Need for cleaning supplies or equipment repair in advance. o Water leaks, and other maintenance needs. o All other health and safety hazards noticed.
• Tracks supply orders and receive shipments of supplies.
• Sets up and take down chairs and tables for classrooms and program functions.
• Participates in emergency drills and environmental safety activities, as requested.
• Attends and participates in center pre-service and in-service trainings.
• Performs other maintenance tasks as assigned. Tasks include but not limited to:
o Painting walls/floors.
o Assembly of furniture.
o Maintain paint chip free surfaces (including walls, ceilings and floors).
o Ensure that toilets, urinals, faucets & drain are working.
o Replace lights as needed.
o Maintain clean light fixtures and vents.
o Maintain clean baseboard.
o Minor repairs should be done as needed or upon request.
o Maintain safe entryways.
• High School Diploma or GED.
• Must be able to obtain Certificate of Fitness for Fire and Emergency Drill Conductor (F07).
• Must be able to obtain Certificate of Fitness for Supervision of Fire Alarm Systems (S-95).
• Successful Department of Investigation and State Central Registry clearances required (once offer is made and as part of employment requirements).
• Child Abuse and Maltreatment training certification.
• Infectious Disease Control training certification required.
• Foundations in Health and Safety training required.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Head Start Performance Standards and NYC DOH Article 47 preferred, but not required.
• Must have working knowledge of proper sanitation, lifting, and chemical mixtures when cleaning.
• A dedicated work ethic.
• Excellent organizational ability and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated ability to perform multiple tasks effectively in a fast-paced, challenging, and constantly changing environment.
• A strong desire to help improve the lives of the residents in the East Harlem community.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.
Please send Cover Letter, Resume, References, and Salary Requirements to: email@example.com. Please indicate Maintenance Worker in subject of e- mail.
UNION SETTLEMENT ASSOCIATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and…