Our vision is that all motivated, under-resourced students of Miami-Dade County will have access to excellent educational resources, graduate from high school and attend college.
Breakthrough Miami provides an award-winning, eight-year, tuition-free academic enrichment program that uses a students-teaching-students model to make that vision a reality. We serve 1,300 high- potential, 5th through 12th grade students from across the county in our six-week Summer Institute and school-year programs, which take place on the campuses of top independent schools and at the University of Miami. We engage outstanding high-school seniors and college students in a paid summer internship that has been rated by The Princeton Review as a top-10 service learning experience.
FLSA STATUS AND SCHEDULE: Exempt, Full-time
REPORTS TO: A Breakthrough Miami Senior Site Director as assigned.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Associate Site Director (ASD) is responsible for the efficient and effective delivery of programs and services that most directly affect Breakthrough Miami Scholars and families. An ASD oversees campus or site logistics, unpaid student volunteers, some stipended positions, Teaching Fellows. As an ambassador of the program, the ASD builds supportive relationships with students, parents, schools, the community and other stakeholders to ensure the academic and socio-enrichment success of all Breakthrough Scholars.
· Work collaboratively with Program Leadership to develop engaging and challenging curriculum models and
effectively implement these models during the school-year and summer program.
· Provide current Breakthrough students with ongoing educational counseling and proactive academic outreach
and intervention to ensure site achievement of all Breakthrough Miami objectives.
· Manage programs and procedures for recruitment, admissions, scheduling and other activities for students and
· Supervise Teaching Fellows and other stipended positions. Participate in recruitment/ selection; give ongoing
feedback and coaching; participate in performance review process.
· Manage unpaid student volunteers during the school year when there is no Site Coordinator.
· Address incidents involving staff, students and volunteers according to established BTM practices; use judgment
to escalate incidents to director level as needed.
· Track student progress through grades, test scores, attendance, and other relevant data while maintaining up-
to-date student data.
· Manage family and student communication to foster maximum attendance and engagement.
· Create and sustain partnerships with local elementary, middle and high schools for the purpose of student
recruitment and student placement.
· Manage site activities when Site Director is not available. Participate in and/or lead special projects as
· Perform other duties that may be assigned.
Dependable and regular attendance, evening and weekend work are required to fulfill the expectations of the role.
Education and experience
· Bachelor’s degree
· Minimum 2 years teaching experience or professional equivalent
· Demonstrated success working with adolescents, young adults and families
Skills, knowledge and abilities
· Takes initiative, self-motivated, able to identify problems and develop solutions
· Self-directed, takes responsibility for own learning
· Results-oriented; holds self accountable; able to achieve outcomes in a flexible, fast-paced environment
· Meets deadlines and acts with urgency
· Ability to make informed decisions
· Accepts direction and coaching
· Embraces a growth mindset, creates a learning environment; committed to continuous improvement
· Excellent public speaking, writing, communication, and computer skills
· Strong administrative and organizational skills
· Ability to develop and maintain key relationships
· Able to take on special projects as required. Effective at multi-tasking, able to oversee multiple projects
· Ability to collect, report, analyze and use data
· Supports integration of Breakthrough Miami
· Proficiency in computer/smart phone/tablet use
OTHER SUCCESS FACTORS
· Professional certification
· Able to see the big picture while also paying attention to details
· Understanding of the Breakthrough model and Miami-Dade Public Schools
· Sets high personal standards, follows through on commitments, models fairness and transparency in
· Able to operate effectively in diverse environments and interact successfully with people from widely varying
· Coaches others
· Experience in MS Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint
· Experience in Salesforce and Social Media
· Proficiency in Spanish or Creole
Occasionally exert up to 20 pounds of force to lift or carry. Activities occur inside and outside. Indoor work is in air-conditioned office or school/classroom setting. Occasional outdoor work is subject to temperature and humidity. Must frequently move about both indoors and outdoors. Requires keyboarding, use of mouse, exchanging information accurately, and close visual acuity to enter, prepare and analyze data and view a computer terminal.
Breakthrough Miami operates in a rapidly changing education and community environment. This job description is a summary, not a contract. The duties and responsibilities of this role may change at any time due to organizational needs.
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficiency in Spanish or Creole preferred.
Minimum Education Required