Details: 1st year regular pay is $10.50 per hour (38-45 hours/week; approx $420/week) PLUS housing.
3540 La Honda Rd
Vida Verde Instructor and Camp Caretaker Position 2018-2019 School Year
Vida Verde is a nonprofit that promotes educational equity by providing free, overnight, environmental learning experiences for students who don’t otherwise get the opportunity.
Vida Verde has a long history of achieving remarkable results as a mission-driven organization focused on providing high-quality programs free of charge for 4th-6thgrade youth from underserved Bay Area communities. We are a small, tightly-knit, exciting non-profit team. Our jobs are the BEST, and so are the people who work here!
The instructor position is great for experienced educators or people who have extensively worked with youth and/or in underserved communities. We are looking for someone who wants to be challenged and work hard towards educational equity and who can handle a lot of responsibility and many details. The position is best suited for a confident, driven, positive, “can-do” worker who is capable of both independent & collaborative work.
This is a full-time, school-year position
Program Work is three consecutive & long days per week (Tues-Thurs)
▪ Instruction includes teaching 6 core programs: (1) Goat Milking & Cheese Making (2) Redwood Hike (3) Tidepool, Marsh & Beach Exploration (4) Organic Farm
Activities (5) Campfire (6) Night Hike
▪ Manage Student groups to success! Create an awesome space and team each week with all 30 high potential human beings!
▪ Manage mealtime and lead cooking with kids. Lead games, participate in decision-making, facilitate conflict resolution, manage first aid, and general troubleshooting.
▪ Weekly camp preparation, setup, maintenance and tidying, cleanup/takedown
▪ Maintain Current Commercial Class C License with Passenger Endorsement and Drive 20-passenger shuttle bus
Outside of Program Work, typically Mondays and Fridays:
▪ Participate in weekly, half-day student management workshops
▪ Participate in and prepare for fundraisers, other donor events, and site work days.
▪ Teambuilding and communication: attend staff meetings & professional development, keep up with staff communications
▪ Site Maintenance work with garden, grounds, teepees, trails, vehicles, animals, etc. (guidance provided)
▪ Animal/Greenhouse Weekend Duty: About 3 hrs/weekend on a rotating basis (approximately one weekend every 6 weeks)
Term of Work: August 22, 2018 – June 8th, 2019
▪ The program operates during the school year from Sept-Nov & Jan–June with about 31 weeks of program.
▪ In addition to program work there are work weeks with instructor training, the 3 weeks around the annual fundraiser and site caretaker work.
▪ There is some time off in late Dec/early Jan and one week in March
Program Site: Optimist Youth Camp and nearby farm site. San Gregorio, CA
(1 hour from San Francisco, 45 minutes from Santa Cruz)
o Inspired by and committed to The Mission
o Experienced educator or have extensively worked with youth and/or in underserved communities
o Demonstrated ability to manage student groups
o Desire to work in a small values-driven nonprofit organization
o Love of children, teaching & the outdoors
o Current Class C Commercial Driver’s License with Passenger Endorsement (or willingness to obtain by job start date)
o First Aid/CPR Certification and/or W.F.R. (or willingness to obtain by job start date)
o English Fluency
o Positive attitude, great communicator, full of integrity
o Versatile and handy
o Organized and detail oriented
o Additional language (Spanish, Tagalog, Tongan, etc.)
o Guitar player or other instrument
o 1st year regular pay is $10.50 per hour (38-45 hours/week; approx $420/week) PLUS housing.
o Large private bedroom in beautiful yurt or in three-bedroom house, both with closet, storage space, washer/dryer, and a shared living room/kitchen. Access to community hot tub, trail, and creek, in a secluded rural setting.
o 401K retirement plan with annual 5% employer match (vested over 5 years)
o Group Health, Dental & Vision Insurance coverage options with $200 monthly contribution by Vida Verde
o 6 meals per 3-day program
o Pro deals/deep discounts (Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear, Prana, Smartwool, etc.)
o 6-day Training Week with Stipend
o Bioneers Conference (Volunteer work trade pass, Campsite & Transportation)
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluent in English. Proficiency in Spanish or another language a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a video of yourself teaching children*, letter of interest, resume, and 3 references by EMAIL ONLY to: Shawn Sears, Jeff Butterworth, Jody Peterman & Victoria Makol. Position open until filled. Priority given to applications received by April 1, 2018. Please send to: Shawn@Vveducation.org, Jeff@Vveducation.org, Jody@Vveducation.org, Victoria@vveduction.org
*A teaching video is a requirement for a complete application to Vida Verde. If you are not currently working with children, or if there are restrictions on recording where you are teaching, it is requested that you take creative measures to create some kind of teaching video.* Please contact us if this is a hardship due to lack of camera/computer. We have one to lend.