The Director of Human Resources is a strategic leader within the Exploratorium’s unique and dynamic learning culture, providing key input to the Executive Director and senior leadership as well as management, oversight, and planning for the Exploratorium’s team of two Senior HR Generalists and one HR Administrator, and collaboration with the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DE&I) team, Volunteer Engagement team, and Internal Communications. The Director leads the development and implementation of HR systems, policies, and practices that result in a safe, healthy, and equitable work culture for approximately 300 regular and 300 additional employees, and actively works to enhance a culture of DE&I in the organization. While ensuring outstanding customer service to employees and managers, the Director shepherds the organization’s employee policies and life cycle, HR systems and operations, employee benefit plans, performance management, and employee/labor relations in the context of a dynamic employment environment. The HR Director reports to and is a key partner with the Senior Director of Organizational Development.
· Lead HR Department vision and strategy, contribute to the organization‘s overall business strategy, and ensure HR staff is following and promoting best HR practices.
· Support and model proactive customer service to staff, promoting shared values of lifelong teaching and learning, curiosity and inquiry, community, iteration and evidence, integrity and authenticity, sustainability, inclusion and respect, and celebrating positive change throughout the organization.
· Ensure the HR database, systems and records provide accurate and legal documentation.
· Ensure compliance with, and manage reporting for, city, state and federal laws and regulations. With support of counsel, manage employee legal interactions.
· Act as a resource for setting, communicating, and enforcing employment policies that provide up-to-date legal and equitable guidance for staff; ensure integration with the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
· Provide fiscal and contract management and implementation for a comprehensive benefits program; review benefits annually for cost and level of coverage, and make recommendations for benefits changes.
· Act as resource, problem solver and advisor to employees on a wide range of human resource issues; oversee accurate and timely responses to administrative and employee relations questions raised by staff; support best practices for DE&I with the HR team
· Build increasingly equitable practices for: job descriptions and classification, talent acquisition and onboarding, compensation and pay administration, benefits and leaves, employee and labor relations, performance management and training.
· Participate in Union contract negotiations and build positive employee relations through contract interpretation and grievance handling.
Leadership and Management
· Provide inspirational, supportive and empowering leadership in a diverse group of passionate, committed and skilled Organizational Development team members.
· Drive the work of the HR department to achieve organizational goals and support a culture of continuous improvement in the team.
· Coach the HR team on problem solving and work methods and practices. Distribute and balance workload, monitor and report on the status of work.
· Lead HR department planning, metrics and reporting, and budget management.
· Minimum 10 years of experience in people/human resource, with at least 4 years’ experience successfully building, leading, and managing an HR department or unit
· Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or equivalent professional experience
· Strong generalist background with demonstrated success in managing HR operations with a continuous improvement approach.
· Passion for and experience with creating a culture of inclusion, and coaching others in anti-racist policies and practices
· Demonstrated high-level analytical skills including in-depth evaluation of issues, information gathering and synthesis, development of metrics, evaluation of options, and communication of solutions to meet the needs of various groups in the organization
· High level of emotional intelligence and cultural competency, along with demonstrated ability to use a variety of conflict resolution techniques
· Outstanding leadership and project-management skills; ability to model team-building, coach developing managers and leaders, and problem-solve at all levels of the organization
· Written and oral communication skills for developing and delivering training, policies, and analytical reports, and correspondence that propel organizational culture
· Demonstrated creativity, flexibility, and sense of humor
· SPHR or SHRM-SCP highly preferred
· Non-profit organizational leadership experience
· Experience in a Union environment
JOB GRADE and SALARY RANGE
Management Grade 6; $112,000 - $130,000.
This position is open until filled
HOW TO APPLY
This is a regular, full-time (37.5 hours per week), exempt position that includes benefits. Please, no phone calls in regards to this job. To apply, please visit the Exploratorium job page.
The Exploratorium is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes a diverse workforce creates a strong organization. We welcome and strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.
The Director of Human Resources is a strategic leader within the Exploratorium’s unique and dynamic learning culture, providing key input to the Executive Director and senior leadership as well as management, oversight, and…