6325 Pacific Blvd., Suite 300
Huntington Park, Los Angeles
Communities for a Better Environment (CBE) (www.cbecal.org), a 501(c)(3) non-profit, is one of the preeminent environmental justice (EJ) organizations in the nation. The mission of CBE is to build people’s power in California’s communities of color and low-income communities to achieve environmental health and justice by preventing and reducing pollution and building green, healthy and sustainable communities and environments.
CBE provides residents in blighted and heavily polluted urban communities in California with organizing skills, leadership training, civic engagement, and legal, scientific and technical assistance. Together, we successfully confront threats to our communities’ health and well-being. We win major EJ victories with our members and allies. We are helping lead the way to Just Transitions from economies based on the dirty fossil fuel industry to economies based on clean energy, with strong civic engagement and good jobs for local residents.
General Position Summary:
This is a full-time, permanent position. Reporting to the Development Director, the Grants Manager will be responsible for statewide oversight of CBE’s 45+ active foundation relationships. The Grants Manager will monitor the full portfolio and ensure consistency, accuracy and quality of tracking, calendaring and materials produced for funders. The Grants Manager will lead creation of content for LOIs, proposals, and reports, and will coordinate the creation of budgets and other attachments. The part-time Grant Writer will have similar responsibilities.
The Grants Manager will help CBE implement its new Transformative Organizing Model by collaborating with and training CBE members and other staff on grant items, contributing to grassroots fundraising activities and other development projects, and occasionally participating in program activities. The Grants Manager will help foster a culture of philanthropy across the organization to strengthen CBE’s fundraising capacity as a means of building community power beyond the limitations of CBE itself. This position will be a key member of CBE’s Development Team, which includes the Executive Director, Development Director, Grassroots Fundraising Organizer, and part-time Grant Writer.
CBE has four offices: Huntington Park and Wilmington (Los Angeles) in Southern California, and Oakland and Richmond in Northern California. Most of CBE’s Development Team operates out of our Huntington Park office and staff members occasionally visit our other offices. The Grants Manager will work out of our Huntington Park office.
- Collaborate closely with CBE’s Development Director, other staff, and members to lead the creation of content for grant items as described above.
- Monitor CBE’s statewide portfolio of active funder relationships.
- Track key funder information and next steps for cultivation, application and reporting, and keep other staff apprised of this information.
- Collaborate with the Director of Finance and Operations on the creation of project budgets, financial reports, and other attachments.
- Participate in weekly Community Team meetings.
- Organize funder site visits.
- Provide grants-related trainings for members and other staff.
- Assist with CBE’s grassroots and individual donor fundraising efforts as necessary.
- Participate in CBE’s 40th Anniversary event planning and other development activities and occasional program activities.
- Integrate development communications into work-related communications and support other staff to do the same, as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Three years of grant writing experience.
- Community organizing, teaching and training experience preferred.
- Individual Donor recruitment and fundraising experience preferred.
- Life experience in an environmental justice community preferred.
- Non-profit experience.
- Communicate effectively about environmental justice work.
- Advance CBE’s mission and campaigns.
- Share knowledge and ideas and collaborate with diverse partners in a team setting.
- Strong reasoning skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Handle confidential information with sensitivity and integrity.
- Work independently as needed; self-motivated.
- Thrive in a deadline-driven work environment.
- Excellent project and time management, administrative skills, follow-through, flexibility, creativity, organization and ability to prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Uphold high levels of accountability for self and for others.
- Work occasional evenings and weekends when grant deadlines require flexibility. In turn, CBE will accommodate your scheduling needs as much as possible.
- Follow multiple sets of instructions provided in a variety of forms, including written, oral, and diagram, to ensure that final materials meet all requirements.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, including Excel.
- Bilingual in Spanish is preferred but not required.
Salary range is $50,000-55,000/year, based on experience. The Grants Manager will receive CBE’s comprehensive benefits package, including a generous vacation and leave policy; fully-paid premiums for medical, vision and dental insurance; a 401(k) retirement plan; and a flexible spending plan. CBE pays full premiums for medical, dental and vision insurance for the employee, any partner and any dependents.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual in Spanish is preferred but not required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
All qualified applicants should submit the following to email@example.com: 1) a cover letter, 2) a resume, and 3) list of personal and professional references with telephone numbers and email addresses. Please title the subject line of your email this way:
Grants Manager [your name]
Please title your attachments this way:
Cover letter [your name]
Resume [your name]
References [your name]
Please do not call us or send additional emails unless we contact you for a discussion or an interview. If we do contact you, we will be happy to answer any questions you may have. The position will remain open until filled. The job announcement will be removed from CBE’s website once the position is filled.
CBE is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or any other prohibited category. We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ, and all qualified persons to apply for this position.