Details: $20 to $23 per hour + Over-Time
20 Randall's Island Park
The Gardener will report directly to the Horticulture Manager and the Director of Horticulture to maintain the highest level of horticultural quality in all the gardens on Randall’s Island. This role includes working closely with the Horticulture Manager and the Director of Horticulture on providing quality maintenance of trees, shrubs, herbaceous layers and ensuring design intentions of themed gardens are maintained. The Gardener will participate in and support special events, garden tours as well as volunteer events.
· Work closely with Horticulture Manager and Director of Horticulture on maintenance plants for various gardens on Randall’s Island.
· Knowledge of plants, their cultural requirements and their botanical nomenclature, including protection and transplanting of existing plants, soil preparation, planting, mulching, weeding, watering fertilization, irrigation, IPM, and pesticide application.
· Perform all garden activities working with plan material, which includes, but is not limited to performance of all tasks necessary for the good health and overall appearance of garden areas, woody ornamentals, herbaceous perennials and small trees.
· Research, document, report, and catalog plant-related information.
· Act as an ambassador for RIPA, answering questions for park visitors, co-leading volunteer events, and co-facilitating garden tours.
· Operate small hand tools and basic power machinery, including hedge trimmers, weed whackers, push mowers, and leaf blowers. Ensure all equipment is secured and well-maintained.
· General clean-up of garden beds and paths, clean-up litter.
· Perform other general tasks as assigned by the Horticulture Manager and/or the Director of Horticulture.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
· B.A. in Horticulture / related fields OR equivalent Horticulture certificate / coursework AND two (2) years hands-on Horticulture experience
· MS Office Suite experience.
· Excellent interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills
· Willing to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions
· Flexibility to work weekends and over-time as needed
· Ability to perform physical labor; must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
· Motivated and punctual, able to work both independently, and as part of a team
· Valid New York State Driver’s license
Comprehensive benefits package following 60-day introductory period
Minimum Education Required