The Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) seeks a Communications Specialist to join our communications department dedicated to building ATU’s visibility among the membership, allies, the labor movement and the public. The position will report to the Communications Director.
- Creating high-impact communications materials for internal and external use for International and Local campaigns and programs, including leaflets, e-newsletters, fact sheets, white papers, talking points, brochures, press releases, etc.
- Developing, managing, writing, editing and proofreading editorial content and stories for ATU's award-winning quarterly magazine, In Transit.
- Assisting in the strategic development and implementation of ATU’s digital strategy.
- Developing and implementing strategic communications through social media, mass email, text messaging, online advertising and online activism.
- Assisting in the development, management and maintenance of the ATU website, Facebook page, Twitter account and other communications and social media technologies.
- Writing and editing news and communications materials, including e-newsletters, op-eds, columns, news releases and other materials for news media/public dissemination.
- Assisting Locals with communications counsel and social media strategies.
- Assisting the International and Locals with outreach to media to increase ATU visibility with news media.
- Shooting and curating photos and videos for websites and social media pages.
- At least five to seven years of experience doing communications and media work for advocacy campaigns or other organizations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, competence in proofreading and editing and confidence in writing abilities.
- Strong experience and knowledge of digital and social media platforms.
- Experience with list-building on various digital and social media platforms, online advertising techniques, web content management, testing to optimize results and online organizing.
- Strong, demonstrated commitment to the needs and concerns of working people and diverse communities.
- Familiarity with labor unions and campaign communications and organizing.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and manage conflicting priorities.
- Experience with developing and producing videos, podcasts and webcasts a plus.
- Demonstrated verbal, visual/graphic and analytical communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and also to work independently, with the self-motivation to produce excellent work on time.
- Proficiency in social media platforms, web content management, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office helpful.
The position will work out of the ATU’s headquarters office at 10000 New Hampshire Avenue, Silver Spring, Maryland.