District of Columbia
Work as if our planet depended on it
BECOME AN ENVIRONMENT AMERICA FELLOW
We need to build a greener, healthier world with clean air, clean water and clean energy. We approach this challenge one step at a time, putting the environment first at every step along the way.
Imagine yourself organizing a town hall meeting on solar power. Or building a community coalition to keep local waters clean. Imagine building the organizational power—the funds, the membership, the activist base and more—that it takes to keep all of this critical work going for the long haul.
That’s what you’ll do with Environment America. We work to mobilize the support it takes to build more solar and wind power, reduce global warming pollution, keep our beaches, rivers and streams clean, protect our wildlife and wild places, and hold polluters accountable when they violate our environmental laws.
This work has never been more urgent or challenging, and not only because Donald Trump is in the White House. The mantra of “economic growth at any cost” is degrading the quality of our environment and wasting the natural resource base that make our lives possible. At the same time, the opportunity to pivot to a greener, healthier way of living is at hand. Rising to this challenge is our mission and our cause. If you see it as your mission too, this is the place for you.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Build Powerful coalitions: Reach out to small business owners, farmers, public health officials, union leaders and others to demonstrate support for our policy goals.
- Earn traditional media and social media attention: Organize news conferences and write opinion pieces. Build a following on Facebook and Twitter for your campaigns.
- Lobby elected officials: Coordinate strategy with a champion in Congress. Make a convincing case to a legislator who is undecided on a particular vote. Work the “inside game” to complement our outside field operation, where most of our power is derived.
- Research and write reports: Catalogue and analyze sources of carbon pollution in the United States. Detail the success of the Clean Water Act in our reports. Help us to influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Run a grassroots campaign office: Hire and manage a staff of 20 canvassers. Raise money, build our organization and membership, and help win one of our key campaigns.
- Identify and cultivate donors: Reach out to foundations and major donors and ask them to fund our work to fight global warming, promote clean energy, and protect our most spectacular natural areas.
PAY & BENEFITS
The target annual compensation for this position is $26,000 in the first year. Environment America offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
LEARN MORE AND APPLY HERE
Environment America is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status.
One of our partners, Work For Progress, is hiring Election Canvass Directors. If you are interested in a short-term position working on the 2018 election to elect candidates who will fight to reverse global warming, get big money out of politics, and help young people deal with the rising cost of college and student debt, apply here https://workforprogress.org/job-board/?entry=464/
Environment America offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Minimum Education Required