Long-Term Substitute for High School Physics/AP Calculus Teacher
- Job posted by Capital City Public Charter School
100 Peabody Street, NW
Capital City is looking for a dedicated and talented Long-Term substitute for our High School Physics/ AP Calculus Teacher for the 2018-2019 school year; October – February 1, 2019.
This is a 4-month position, which is exempt and therefore not eligible for overtime pay under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
The many and varied responsibilities of high school teachers at Capital City include:
· Planning/teaching daily classes for 50-80 students taught in five periods per day (class size 12-20 students).
· Utilizing a workshop model to differentiate instruction and promote student engagement
· Developing learning expeditions, curriculum, and projects
· Regularly assessing student progress and using data to plan for instruction
· Meeting and planning at least weekly with a grade-level team
· Serving as an advisor to 10-14 students that involves leading a daily advisory, helping to develop the social curriculum, supporting advisees with college planning and regularly communicating with parents
· Collaborating with staff and students to implement consistent structures and develop traditions at our school
· Involving students in fieldwork and service that deepens understanding and interest
· Supporting students with completing portfolios and meeting passage requirements
· Attending a summer institute and weekly professional development sessions
· Completing narrative progress reports
· Certification to teach AP courses is highly desired
Qualifications: At least two of the following are required: Masters degree in education or field of instruction, 2+ years of full-time teaching experience, standard teaching certification. Secondary teachers must also have an undergraduate or graduate major in their field of instruction OR have passed the required Praxis II exam for their discipline. Additionally, candidates should have: a commitment to meeting the needs of a diverse population, experience working in urban environments, strong knowledge of pedagogy and experience teaching in a constructivist way, proven ability to work as a member of a team, strong leadership capabilities, and a commitment to their own learning.
Compensation and Benefits: Capital City offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package
Minimum Education Required