Practical Farmers of Iowa is seeking an outgoing and dedicated professional to join our staff as livestock coordinator. For over 35 years, PFI has equipped farmers to build resilient farms and communities through farmer-to-farmer knowledge sharing, on-farm research and strategic partnerships.
This full-time position will work with PFI staff, farmers and members to design, coordinate and execute farmer-led educational events, and will serve as a relationship- and network-builder for livestock farmers in the Practical Farmers community. The livestock coordinator will work closely with many types of farmers, enterprises and systems, including conventional and organic, medium- and small-scale livestock farmers and graziers comprised of beef, swine, sheep, goat, poultry and dairy farmers.
The livestock coordinator will join a dynamic, innovative team at Practical Farmers of Iowa, whose passion for Iowa’s ecosystems, communities, farms and rural livelihoods is mobilized though farmer-led work, servant leadership and grassroots movements for lasting landscape change. The livestock coordinator need not be an expert in livestock production and management, but must have experience with diversified livestock farmers, pasture-based systems and an ability to understand, discern and respond to their evolving needs and interests. Practical Farmers offers a flexible, fast-paced work environment with opportunities for independent initiative and professional development.
• Plan, organize and staff PFI’s livestock field days, conferences, workshops and farmer-gatherings
• With Practical Farmers’ livestock program manager brainstorm, develop objectives, plans and timelines for the future of PFI’s livestock program in alignment with PFI’s strategic plan and livestock farmers’ interests and needs
• Recruit, train and secure leadership opportunities for livestock farmers to become leaders
• Steward, facilitate and grow regional and interest-based networks of farmers and stakeholders to promote farmer-to-farmer learning about diverse livestock production, farm business management and local food systems
• Work with livestock farmers and stakeholders to reduce barriers to the viability and growth of pasture-based livestock enterprises
• Coordinate and partner with relevant organizations, businesses, researchers and educators in Iowa and beyond, as appropriate with PFI’s mission
• Seek grant opportunities and write proposals to fund programming related to diverse livestock and crop systems, agroforestry and silvopasture and climate change mitigation
• Track grant deliverables and progress, and prepare grant reports
• Communicate about PFI’s work and mission to varied audiences via written media and presentations
• Work with the communications team to feature livestock farmers’ experiences and perspectives in PFI publications and in external media
• Author articles for PFI’s quarterly magazine and blog
• Coordinate with PFI’s communications team to develop and curate relevant and timely content for the livestock program webpage
• Support and collaborate with team members in a manner that promotes cross-program partnerships and team cohesion
Practical Farmers of Iowa is seeking an outgoing and dedicated professional to join our staff as livestock coordinator. For over 35 years, PFI has equipped farmers to build resilient farms and communities through farmer-to-farmer…
Practical Farmers of Iowa is a family-friendly employer. The position includes full health care benefits, a flex plan, short- and long-term disability, life insurance and generous paid time off. Employer contribution to a 401k retirement plan is offered after one year of employment.
Practical Farmers of Iowa is a family-friendly employer. The position includes full health care benefits, a flex plan, short- and long-term disability, life insurance and…