Title: Press Assistant
Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit organization working to eradicate hunger and poverty and to promote peace and justice around the world. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
The Press Assistant will join the CWS communications team working to raise the profile of the organization among key audiences and supporting public advocacy and strategic communications campaigns advancing the rights of immigrants and refugees. Reporting to the Director of Media, the press assistant will provide research, writing, outreach and administrative support to the CWS press team.
The ideal candidate will be a strong written and verbal communicator who is media-savvy, highly organized and capable of thriving in a fast-paced creative environment
- Assist with drafting and proofreading press releases, media advisories, opinion editorials, letters to the editor, editorial board memos, issue backgrounders, blogs and other press materials as needed.
- Pitch media, schedule and coordinate interviews with CWS staff, clients and key validators.
- Contribute to the creation of and training in media engagement materials for CWS staff, clients, and partners.
- Attend partner coalition calls and report key items and deliverables to Director of Media.
- Support local office staff and grassroots organizers with press outreach and promotion of events
- Coordinate press events and teleconferences, providing logistics support and working with the communications team to prepare spokespeople
- Coordinate with partners to link grassroots campaigns and policy positions with media opportunities
- Contribute media outreach resources to advocacy and campaign toolkits
- Create, update and organize media outreach lists in Cision
- Advise social media team on new or existing press contacts active on Twitter.
- Track and organize media hits, preparing quarterly reports on media engagement
- Research and identify new opportunities for pro-active media engagement and story placement, including lifestyle media and podcasts.
- Upload new press releases, resources and other media resources to cwsglobal.org and share them with partners and supporters through email and social media.
- Provide administrative support for the communications team, such as logistics for events, meetings, and travel (when applicable); scheduling internal and external meetings; submitting expense reconciliations; maintaining team calendars; and other administrative support as needed.
- Minimum of a B.A./B.S. in communications, marketing, or public relations; academic experience in communications or public relations; or significant comparable professional experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills, high attention to detail, and solid organizational skills
- Experience pitching a placing stories in traditional and digital media
- Expertise in emerging new media opportunities and knowledge of best practices of engagement
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, work well under pressure and with tight deadlines, and balance multiple projects
- Familiarity with refugee and immigration issues
- Familiarity with using Cision or similar software to build media lists, send press releases, and track media engagement.
- Willingness to share new ideas and proactively take on assignments as they arise.
- Basic web editing experience
CWS offers a competitive benefits package that includes:
• 403 (b) Retirement Plan
• Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
• Paid Time Off
• Life Insurance and AD&D
• Long Term and Short Term Disability
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• Health Savings Account
• Flexible Spending Accounts
• Commuter Benefits