At Rocketship Public Schools, we believe all students deserve an excellent mathematics education, one which not only builds deep understandings of math concepts & procedures, but also develops the ability of learners to apply those understandings in a multitude of contexts and challenges. Reporting to the national Director of STEM, Personalized Learning & Innovation, the National Associate Director of Mathematics will be a key strategic leader on our national academic team and critical in driving forward our vision of excellent mathematics instruction at Rocketship. The AD of Mathematics will manage a Senior Associate of Mathematics, and together, they will be responsible for ensuring that key stakeholders have the resources, training and support they need to achieve ambitious student outcomes. Through deep collaboration with regional and school leadership, the math team will bring to life Rocketship’s vision & core beliefs for excellent math instruction: instruction which emphasizes thinking, problem-solving & reasoning, which stimulates inquiry and curiosity, which focuses on meaning over answers to build transferable thinking, and which is accessible to all learners. The Associate Director of Mathematics must work relentlessly to drive on key network initiatives and ensure all students at school sites receive a transformational mathematics education.
The primary job responsibilities are described below, along with estimated time allocations.
- Mathematics Instruction - Planning & Design
- Create & edit network scope & sequence maps and instructional vision documents
- Create & edit math instructional resources, assessments, and data-to-action resources.
- Create & curate a library of School Leader-facing instructional supports, from model videos to math instruction rubrics
- Collaborate with Multilingual Learners team to integrate language supports & best practices into mathematics instruction
- Collaborate with Integrated Special Education team to create mathematics instruction frameworks and resources accessible to all learners
- Collaborate with Personalized Learning team to integrate technology & online learning innovations to personalize instruction for all learners.
- Integrate culturally responsive teaching practices into our vision for mathematics instruction and related curricular materials
- Engage in network-wide data analysis to drive strategic action planning in response to data
- STEM Teacher & School Leader PD
- Observe mathematics instruction and review student data to help identify network-wide needs for mathematics PD
- Design & deliver school-leader & teacher PD on mathematics instruction
- Train and develop a cohort of Regional Math Leaders to build mathematical content expertise across the national network
- Mathematics Instruction - Implementation Support
- Model lessons in classrooms for teachers and School Leaders to support deeper internalization of the vision for math instruction at Rocketship
- Observe classrooms to progress monitor implementation and collect and share trends
- Coach & support a cohort of schools on math instruction
- Team Leadership
- Lead team on creation & curation of curriculum resources
- Coach & develop Senior Associate of Mathematics
- Lead team in regular network-wide mathematics data analysis protocols to drive strategic action planning
- At least 2 years of classroom teaching experience, with a demonstrated track record of excellent student achievement results.
- At least 2 years of school leadership experience, with a demonstrated record of successfully managing adults towards achievement outcomes preferred.
- Willingness to travel to various Rocketship regions throughout the school year.
- Strong working knowledge of K-5 math content and excellent lesson planning skills
- Outstanding time management and organizational skills
- Results-oriented and data-driven
- Adaptable and able to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to effectively coach, train, and develop educators preferred.
- Skill at building strong working relationships with people and driving results requiring contribution from multiple stakeholders without direct oversight
- Excellent analytical, and critical thinking skills, combined with outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Experience planning and managing complex projects
- Deep commitment to Rocketship’s mission to eliminate the achievement gap in our lifetimes and desire to have an impact in an innovative and high-performing organization