District of Columbia
Define American is seeking an experienced, energetic and multi-talented leader to join its team as a full-time communications manager.
The communications manager will report directly to the communications director and work closely with communications team. This individual will collaborate with a team of staff and consultants specializing in communications, PR and digital engagement. The communications manager will work on media outreach and strategic initiatives for Define American, which has already become a leading national media and culture organization in the immigration and citizenship space. Required travel 10-20%.
- Media Outreach: Building and maintaining relationships and lists of journalists, producers, and editors particularly in large national media outlets. Pitching story ideas, developing press releases, drafting talking points. Facilitating interviews with organization spokespersons.
- Strategy: Analysis of news media and execution of campaigns that engage the media around language and thoughtful storytelling. Maximizing key opportunities to help shape the way America sees immigrants, views its identity, and values citizenship
- Presentation: In coordination with the communications team, represent Define American to the general public and aid in the presentation of materials to funders and potential funders
- Training: In collaboration with other staff, lead trainings as necessary to prepare campaign participants, staff, and partners for media interaction
- At least five years of progressive responsibilities and experience in newsroom, media outreach, including rapid response communications.
- BA/BS or higher required: majors in journalism, media and communications a plus
- Valid driver’s license; travel is necessary for this position
Successful candidates will also possess most of the following qualifications:
- Experience navigating fruitful relationships with news organizations and media professionals
- Proven leadership skills
- Keen observer of popular culture
- Must be an exceptional strategist, adept communicator, expert collaborator, and superior project manager with the ability to build trust, inspire confidence, manage change, and work in partnership with key partners to communicate major initiatives to key stakeholders both within and beyond the organization
- Ability to successfully mitigate unexpected challenges and think outside the box while working with a small, growing team
- Exceptional interpersonal/written, editing and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of the techniques for disseminating information through various channels of communication including print, web, email, video and various existing and new social media channels
- Pre-existing familiarity with trends in immigrant integration, media and culture with an affinity for social justice
- Able to maintain professionalism while facilitating productive conversations with opposing viewpoints
Due to the remote nature of the work, candidates residing in (or willing to relocate to) Washington, DC to facilitate in-person collaboration and ease of travel are preferred. Applicants throughout the United States will be considered.
ABOUT DEFINE AMERICAN
Define American is the nation’s leading non-profit media organization that fights injustice and anti-immigrant hate through the power of storytelling. Through media consulting and creation, grassroots organizing, and event curation, Define American jumpstarts widespread conversations and culture change around citizenship, race, and identity in a changing America. Over the last seven years, Define American has played a critical part in changing how people around the world talk with one another about citizenship, their communities, and our shared story of human migration. A career at Define American offers the ability to make a lasting impact in a fast-growing organization. Our staff makes a positive difference in people’s lives every day and is changing the shape of America for generations to come.
The executive leadership team includes award-winning individuals from different sectors who have dedicated their lives to accomplishing the mission of the organization. Define American was co-founded in April 2011 by Jose Antonio Vargas, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and Emmy-nominated filmmaker.
Define American is an equal opportunity employer and 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization. We encourage applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, and evaluate all candidates based on merit.
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience
- Excellent benefits available
- The ability to grow with and contribute to a creative, collaborative team on the cutting edge of one of the key issues facing our nation today
- The ability to partner and meet with America’s most notable organizations and leaders in every sector
Level of Language Proficiency
- Bilingual/Multilingual is a plus, particularly if Spanish speaking for engagement
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com attn: Define American Hiring Team, with the words “Communications Manager Application” and your name in the subject line
- Will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled