District of Columbia
American Bird Conservancy
Conservation Specialist, Migratory Birds and Habitats
Title: Conservation Specialist, Migratory Birds and Habitats
Supervisor: Migratory Bird Program Director
Location: Washington, D.C. or The Plains, VA
Submission Deadline: May 15, 2018
This Conservation Specialist position is part of the Migratory Birds and Habitats Division’s Wintering Program. The position will work on cutting-edge conservation actions to protect migratory bird populations on their wintering grounds in Latin America and the Caribbean. This position will work to manage and expand existing migratory bird conservation projects, while also bringing sustainable development and restoration initiatives to action through ABC’s new BirdScapes framework. BirdScapes are large priority landscapes targeted for implementing new and innovative approaches to conservation including agroforestry, conservation ranching, and impact investing.
The goal of this position is to provide ABC with expertise in sustainable development, restoration, agribusiness, and project management to facilitate landscape level conservation of wintering habitat for migratory birds in Latin American and the Caribbean.
· The Conservation Specialist will be expected to facilitate advancing on-the-ground conservation work for migratory birds throughout the Western Hemisphere with an emphasis on protecting habitat and reducing threats on wintering grounds and important migration stopover sites.
· Other responsibilities include communication with Migratory Bird Joint Ventures, Partners in Flight, and other ABC partners in relation to wintering grounds activities as part of full life cycle conservation; assisting with fundraising activities, reviewing and writing reports, promotion and communications and information management.
· Developing and implementing conservation strategies for migratory birds: ABC is expanding our conservation activities in Latin American and the Caribbean to include more economic based solutions for conservation. Habitat loss and degradation continue to be the largest threat to migratory bird populations. In addition to habitat protection, habitat restoration is a key need. ABC is working to identify products that can be produced in ways that contribute to bird conservation and also provide sustainable economic benefit for producers and landowners that expands protection and restoration of habitat. To date, ABC has identified coffee, cacao, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, and timber as potential products that could be produced and harvested to the benefit of migratory bird habitat. It will be the job of the Conservation Specialist to identify opportunities and develop strategies for projects that can bring economic and conservation value. The Conservation Specialist, will then work with partners to execute these collaboratively developed strategies.
· Ensure sound project management and timely results: The Conservation Specialist will provide effective project management to ensure successful project execution that provides lasting results for migratory birds. This requires great communication skills with partners, problem solving, and budget management. The Conservation Specialist will also assess and evaluate ongoing and new conservation projects and partner effectiveness, and provide feedback to both the partner and ABC leadership about project advancements and issues. The position also requires working with internal ABC project management systems and staff including finance, development, communications, and management.
· Assist with the generation of financing for conservation projects: Sustainable development, agribusiness, and habitat conservation require financing for execution. The Conservation Specialist will assist with traditional philanthropic fundraising with ABC’s Development Team, and also help develop non-traditional, and potentially non-philanthropic conservation finance mechanisms for projects that can facilitate habitat conservation. Experience in business, commodity chains, and economics is desired to help build a robust and financially sound platform for conservation investment from all sectors.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in conservation biology or environmental science, wildlife management, ornithology, business management, agronomy, economics or related fields that provide applicant with knowledge and experience in conservation, project or non-profit management, and/or international sustainable development.
• Knowledge of neotropical migrant birds and an understanding of migratory bird conservation issues along with habitat management experience, including habitat restoration.
• Experience with sustainable development, agribusiness (forestry, agroforestry, agriculture, ranching), and/or business management.
• Proven ability to be detail oriented, meet deadlines, manage multiple projects, and produce effective results. Entrepreneurial spirit and willingness to take initiative to go above and beyond.
• Demonstrated leadership skills, and ability to solve problems and find effective solutions to complicated issues.
• Previous experience working in partnership with other organizations and working effectively in cross-cultural situations.
• An outgoing, positive, and friendly disposition with the creativity to bring fresh solutions for conservation results, and ability do so both independently and as part of a team.
• Excellent networking, communications and management skills.
• Fluency in English and Spanish required. Fluency in Portuguese or French is desirable.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in English and Spanish required. Fluency in Portuguese or French is desirable.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply online at BambooHR: https://abcbirds.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=22
If you experience any trouble with the website, please send your cover letter and resume as one document to HR@abcbirds.org